1956 CASCO 6-bladed fan - paint?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Mine is also just the silver color

I believe they were black but the replacement comes finished like a silvery stainless steel. I have seen so many just bolted on as a silver reproduction

Black. However, the original dress-up kit included a chrome, 3-blade fan; I have one but don't use it. Besides having only 3 blades, they are prone to cracking. Tbird suppliers sell reinforcements that address the cracking.

Black. However, the original dress-up kit included a chrome, 3-blade fan; I have one but don't use it. Besides having only 3 blades, they are prone to cracking. Tbird suppliers sell reinforcements that address the cracking.
Mine is an original 4 blade as much as I can tell. Maybe they changed from chrome to black with the 4 blade but that's all I've known. When I replaced my water pump I painted the tank, shroud and fan gloss black. Looks good and proper. Now I have to remember how hard it is to pull out the grill so I can repaint everything behind it. Pretty dull and covered with years of dust. Did replace the round inspection cover that I never knew was missing until a couple of years ago.

My original 3 bladed fan was chromed but overheating was a signature problem with baby birds. Most people have switched to 6 blades or electric fans. Mine is black. Came that way too.

My 6 blade flex fan remains polished SS, looks good with the polished Alum radiator.
Not for the purists, but I sure do like seeing those nice cool readings on the temp gauges even in the heat of the summer

The 1956 Fan was not chrome plated. The 1955 model year cars with the engine dress up kit were plated but it did not carry over to the 1956 year. The chrome plating of the fan cause something called hydrogen embrittlement. I am NOT a metallurgist, but the plating process apparently causes the fan metal to become brittle and can cause it to crack and fail. It is stated that heating the fan after plating in an oven at a temperature about 250-300 degrees for an hour will counter the effect. The fan blade was painted a satin black. Many people paint them gloss for appearance.

Back