1956 Backup camera

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm thinking about adding a backup camera to my 1956. Does anyone have any recommendations? Maybe like some of you I'm old and it's hard to get turned around to see what I don't want to hit.

I'm thinking about adding a backup camera to my 1956. Does anyone have any recommendations? Maybe like some of you I'm old and it's hard to get turned around to see what I don't want to hit.
I know there are plenty out there. I too want to get some recommendations. I prefer wired with a receiving screen big enough t be useful. I do not hink I want a screen within the mirror style. I recently rented a GM van with the screen in the mirror and found it almost useless.

I've been working on installing a back up camera on my 1956 t-bird. I cut off the plastic gimbal mount that came on the screen. I then took a thin flat piece of aluminum and adapted the gimbal parts. The aluminum strip was them mounted on a hinge. The short end of the hinge is bolted to the bottom of the dash at the ash tray. I added a hardware store round magnet to the hinge with a locking nut holding the magnet a bit loose to be be able to align it with a small piece of steel flat stock bolted to the back of the ash tray. So when not in use it tucks up under the dash and is held in place by the magnet attracted to the back of the ash tray. If you pull the ash tray out just a little it swings down in view and a mercury tilt switch turns it on. I took a large coiled spring and drilled a row of holes at the bottom of the screen mount to match the coil and threaded it into the bracket. This spring keeps the mount stable as it is forced a little into the carpet.
Tried it out today and couldn't be happier, backed into a spot perfectly just like my new car.
The camera is a Dohonest V29 and was $140 with shipping and tax. It uses bluetooth so I only needed to run power to the rear camera. The rear camera is mounted by using the license plate bolts. IMG_0967.JPGIMG_0971.JPG

I have not installed it yet but have a Garmin wireless backup camera that uses a Garmin Navigation as the monitor.

Back