1956- Airtex & Carter Fuel Pump differences

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a failed Airtex pump (phillips head screws) on my 56. I bought a new pump at NAPA made by Carter but it has the same crews. Is there a difference between Airtex and Carter?

I have a failed Airtex pump (phillips head screws) on my 56. I bought a new pump at NAPA made by Carter but it has the same crews. Is there a difference between Airtex and Carter?
Have tried about 3 Napa fuel pumps. I dont believe any of them lasted over 6 months. Gave up and started using electrical pumps. Left the mechanical for vacuum wipers

I have an electric pump already installed, in fact, I have been running off it for almost 2 years. I have found that after a long drive, when I am in line for ice cream takeout, the pump will suddenly become very noisy. I checked and there is a regulator in the line right after the pump. I still want to put in the mechanical especially for the wipers. I actually researched a small 12v electric vacuum pump to run the wipers independently of the engine. With vacuum they work fine until you open the throttle. I though of changing to electric wipers but I have heard the dash needs to be removed which is not something I want to tackle.

Have tried about 3 Napa fuel pumps. I dont believe any of them lasted over 6 months. Gave up and started using electrical pumps. Left the mechanical for vacuum wipers
Rebuild the original. It may be more expensive but the quality is there and should not be underestimated.

Back