1956 adding air conditioning

M

Mr. Bill

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 1956 T bird did not come with a c but I would like to add it. I was looking at a company called Classic Auto Air which makes a kit specifically for the 55,56, and 57. does anyone know of this kit and company and has anyone installed their system in their 55,56, or 57? their web is classicautoair.com and their phone number is 866-435-7801. if you check them out and would be able to tell me what you think of this system and any questions I should ask them, I would greatly appreciate any advise you could give me. Or call me to give me any info. Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'd like to know this as well.
What does the kit cost and how much to install it?

I installed that very kit on my 57, very well designed and not to bad to install.
The only part that was vague was the compressor installation which I solved by contacting some old time Tbird guys.
I past all that onto to Classic air so I would hope there would be included by now.
If you decide to go that route I may be able to help if needed, although the technical supports at Classic air is very good.
Cheers
Dave

I'd like to know this as well.
What does the kit cost and how much to install it?
The cost of the kit is 1499.00 + 75.00 for the T bird engine + shipping. My mechanic said it would cost 1500.00 dollars to install. the techs @ classic air said it would take 15-20 hours to install. My mechanic gets 95 dollars an hour, a little high but good and dependable. Classicautoaair.com is their web sight and their phone # is 877-342-5526 you can call them with any specifics

I came across this link from Hot Rod magazine while researching A/C for my 55.
I dont suppose any of the early 'Birds came with A/C but some systems retain the original "look" retaining the fan, housing, etc. while others blank off the heater assembly and are totally self contained under the dash.
It doesnt look like all that difficult to install. I'll give it a go when the time comes - save for charging the system.
But I'm still looking as well. Good luck!

/

PS their instructions are online on their webpage.

I am also thinking about this addition to the 57. If someone who has installed the kit could take a picture of the dash outlets that are a part of the kit it might put me over just thinking. I have a non functional at this time dial o matic in the lower center portion of the dash.

Attachments

• 57 dash.jpg
    57 dash.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 3
I will have to take pictures of mine, the car is in storage.
I will try to get some pictures tonight or tomorrow.
I can tell you the outlets consist of 3 seperate outlets one on ether side and a double in the middle.
Located on the lower side of the dash.
You select where they go.
There is also a heater outlet to the floor on the passenger side and one on the drivers side near the vent inlet.
It will e very important to insulate the floor and firewall. This will help more than the AC to keep the cab cool.
I also added heat shields on the mufflers.

So now it is about 18 months later. Of those considering the addition of an A/C system; have you done it, which did you use, did you install it yourself, does it overheat on hot days and are you pleased with its’ performance

Installed the Classic Air about a year ago. No major problems. What I liked most is using the original 57 heater controls. It works great in the Missouri heat and humidity. No problems yet on the overheating issue with the stock radiator. Have installed Vintage Air (AID Automotive, Nixa, MO) in 64 (added new DeWitt radiator) and 69 Corvettes and purchased AC kit from Classic Air for 69 XKE but not yet installed. Both Vintage and Classic Air vendors have great kits that perform like any modern car. Wife is happy, 69 to both coasts and in May will take 64 to San Diego, Ca to Jacksonville, Fl back to Fair Grove, Mo, Lord willing.

Attachments

• 57 Thunderbird AC.jpg
    57 Thunderbird AC.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 5
Is the alphabet dial they way they looked at the time when you could buy A/C in the 50’s ? What does it control since your temp is via the original lever in the heater control? Fan speed? Thanks for taking the time in responding initially…

Is the alphabet dial they way they looked at the time when you could buy A/C in the 50’s ? What does it control since your temp is via the original lever in the heater control? Fan speed? Thanks for taking the time in responding initially…
The alphabet dial controls the power memory seat.

Back