1956 312 V8 Crankcase Vent Removal

Shawnski

Shawnski

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This may sound silly, but how the heck do you add oil via the crankcase vent? Is there a secret way to get the vent cover off? On most cars these simply pull straight up and off! Not his one…lol. I’ve tried to unscrew it, pull up and push down and turn, but its not budging! There’s a Front written on it, yet that is facing down which doesn’t make sense, but it does tell me that there‘s likely a right and wrong way it would remove and re-install. I’ve added a couple of pictures, maybe someone can give me some direction.05CFBB1A-BE65-4BFA-967E-45445BC7BF4A.jpeg64254B55-ED75-44EC-88B5-4586F60DB867.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The crankcase oil fill cap pulls off. On some models, there was a groove in the tube with a corresponding keyway in the filler cap. your cap could have been put in wrong and this MAY be causing the tight fit. use a little extra pressure to pull the cap off. It is not threaded on.

It looks like any oem vent cap that pulls off and pushes on. The pictures are very helpful, especially the view from the underside. The orientation of the front lettering has no real effect on the cap that I know of. I have what appears to be the same cap. It may just need a bit or persuasion to pull off.
good luck, J.

It should just pull off. Maybe a little persuasion with a rubber trap wrench. Also what is that extension on you P/S reservoir filler. All the ones I've seen are flush to the top?

It should just pull off. Maybe a little persuasion with a rubber trap wrench. Also what is that extension on you P/S reservoir filler. All the ones I've seen are flush to the top?
I’m not familiar with a rubber trap wrench. Sounds like a plumbing tool.
I’ve seen this style of P/S top on the majority of the ‘56 birds I’ve seen. It was on the car when I purchased it, so I figured it was factory. My car isn’t an early ‘56 as I also have the trans cooling lines that go through the radiator.

I’m not familiar with a rubber trap wrench. Sounds like a plumbing tool.
I’ve seen this style of P/S top on the majority of the ‘56 birds I’ve seen. It was on the car when I purchased it, so I figured it was factory. My car isn’t an early ‘56 as I also have the trans cooling lines that go through the radiator.
I meant to say STRAP wrench. And yes it's a plumbing tool. It is basically a rubber strap where you loop the strap through the handle and when you twist the handle it tightens the strap with some leverage and does no damage. Kind of like the old school oil filter wrench instead of the steel strap its rubber. You can get them almost anywhere tools are sold.

Back