1955 thunderbird upper grille moulding

Tater Salad

Tater Salad

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Can anyone provide pictures or a description on how the upper grille moulding on a 55 mounts? The piece I have seems too narrow to cover the grille edge and reach the holes in the nose of the car.
Thanks for any help.
JH

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Can anyone provide pictures or a description on how the upper grille moulding on a 55 mounts? The piece I have seems too narrow to cover the grille edge and reach the holes in the nose of the car.
Thanks for any help.
JH
I'm not sure exactly what your question is. I have this diagram from my old Parts Digest book. I can take pictures of my car if you need. Mine is all apart but it would be very easy to get things in place to give you actual pictures. The Grille itself goes into the opening and bolts along the bottom and top. Then the surround goes around more to the outside. I cannot remember if the bottom piece of outside trim bolts in at the same place as the grille or onto the piece (valance?) that goes across. The top piece bolts into the holes up above the grille opening. Then the corners go on last. They fit over the edges to the upper piece and on top of the lower piece of trim. They are bolted around the outer edge (and possibly into the bottom piece of trim. I would have to look to make sure.
Grille.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. I have this diagram from my old Parts Digest book. I can take pictures of my car if you need. Mine is all apart but it would be very easy to get things in place to give you actual pictures. The Grille itself goes into the opening and bolts along the bottom and top. Then the surround goes around more to the outside. I cannot remember if the bottom piece of outside trim bolts in at the same place as the grille or onto the piece (valance?) that goes across. The top piece bolts into the holes up above the grille opening. Then the corners go on last. They fit over the edges to the upper piece and on top of the lower piece of trim. They are bolted around the outer edge (and possibly into the bottom piece of trim. I would have to look to make sure.
View attachment 3202
Thanks much for the reply. When I held mine in place I assumed it was supposed to cover the gap between the grill face and the nose of the car, like the lower piece of the grille. But the more I investigate, it appears there is a gap from the bottom side of the upper grille moulding to the grille face. Is that assumption correct? I'll try to fit it that way this evening. I see there are weird little clips that hold the upper piece to the nose. (I don't have those at this time). Does orientation of those matter or is it self evident when I get the pieces fastened to the nose. The moulding wasn't on the car when I purchased it however, a new piece was in the trunk. So im feeling my way through that step.

Thanks much for the reply. When I held mine in place I assumed it was supposed to cover the gap between the grill face and the nose of the car, like the lower piece of the grille. But the more I investigate, it appears there is a gap from the bottom side of the upper grille moulding to the grille face. Is that assumption correct? I'll try to fit it that way this evening. I see there are weird little clips that hold the upper piece to the nose. (I don't have those at this time). Does orientation of those matter or is it self evident when I get the pieces fastened to the nose. The moulding wasn't on the car when I purchased it however, a new piece was in the trunk. So im feeling my way through that step.
Yes, the lower portion covers the area going to the grille. The upper portion of the grill is back inside the opening and the upper molding is mounted to the front of the nose cowl. The clips (and nuts/washers) are available from the Thunderbird suppliers as a kit. I think the kit is less than $10. They are spring loaded and slip into the moulding. You can slide the clips to proper position to line up with the mounting holes. Put the upper moulding in place and attach the washers and nuts to the back side. I used a small 1/4 inch drive deep socket to tighten them. you reach the nuts up from the front in front of the grille and behind the lip of the cowl. Then the outer corners are assembled on last. I usually keep everything snug to allow movement for line up then tighten all the screws and nuts after I am satisfied with the fit.
I've had mine assembled and dis-assembled probably five or six times over the years.

Yes, the lower portion covers the area going to the grille. The upper portion of the grill is back inside the opening and the upper molding is mounted to the front of the nose cowl. The clips (and nuts/washers) are available from the Thunderbird suppliers as a kit. I think the kit is less than $10. They are spring loaded and slip into the moulding. You can slide the clips to proper position to line up with the mounting holes. Put the upper moulding in place and attach the washers and nuts to the back side. I used a small 1/4 inch drive deep socket to tighten them. you reach the nuts up from the front in front of the grille and behind the lip of the cowl. Then the outer corners are assembled on last. I usually keep everything snug to allow movement for line up then tighten all the screws and nuts after I am satisfied with the fit.
I've had mine assembled and dis-assembled probably five or six times over the years.
Thanks again for your input and the details you shared. I'll get some more parts ordered.

Do you need actual pictures? I can go out to the garage and set some things up to show you how it assembles onto the car.

Do you need actual pictures? I can go out to the garage and set some things up to show you how it assembles onto the car.
I don't think so.

Yesterday evening I was in the garage attempting to figure out what pieces I needed to order to finish up the trim around the car. When I put the upper moulding piece up to the car I first thought I was missing something or that I had the wrong piece. I believe now, with your help that I have a better understanding of how it goes together. I'll have another gander at it this evening when I get home. I do appreciate your generous offer, and don't want to create any work for ya. But if things still don't suit me later today, I will probably be requesting those pictures. Im not in any rush, the clips won't be here for a few days.

Back