1955 Steering Wheel Recommendations

Thunderbird Year
i HAVE 2 . Original stock in Sage green and an aftermarket, 2" smaller in diameter in black.

Moderator note: do not post contact information on the forum. Send a direct message by clicking the user's handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird Year
I was just trying to find out if anyone has installed a non T-Bird steering wheel and if they could supply the part number for the wheel and the adapter hub. The car is far from factory specs, so I am not interested in spending big bucks to redo the original steering wheel setup. Thanks.

Thunderbird Year
Your initial heading said "55 steering wheel recommendations", but your post relates to '56. Does anyone know if a '56 smaller wheel can be used on the '55 column? Most advertisers don't even mention the interchange possibilities. Thanks

Thunderbird Year
2 inches in circumference is 1 inch on each side, no noticeable difference in steering. Don't need any adapter. Hard to believe Ford would change steering columns. does need a little filing. its a really tight fit without some filing of the coggs.

Thunderbird Year
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket steering wheel and adapter for a '56 T-Bird?
I got one from Amos Minter. It is not keyed and the spline is off by a few thow. It will go on but apply anti-seize to remove it more easily. Mark your original key location onto the new one for reference using a sharpie or a center punch. It is smaller in diameter so you will be getting in/out easier. It is also not flat but concaved like a '57.

Thunderbird Year
who is Amos Minter. don't know what you mean about keying it. yes its smaller and at 6-2 its a little easier in and out. That and disc brakes on front and moving exhaust under the back bumper its stock and in good shape. Having Trans rebuilt now. And last but not least ts for sale...alex

Thunderbird Year
who is Amos Minter. don't know what you mean about keying it. yes its smaller and at 6-2 its a little easier in and out. That and disc brakes on front and moving exhaust under the back bumper its stock and in good shape. Having Trans rebuilt now. And last but not least ts for sale...alex

I put on disks too, SS gas tank, radials and mags.