1955 Steering Wheel Recommendations

i HAVE 2 . Original stock in Sage green and an aftermarket, 2" smaller in diameter in black.

Moderator note: do not post contact information on the forum. Send a direct message by clicking the user's handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't it be harder to steer/turn with a smaller wheel?

I was just trying to find out if anyone has installed a non T-Bird steering wheel and if they could supply the part number for the wheel and the adapter hub. The car is far from factory specs, so I am not interested in spending big bucks to redo the original steering wheel setup. Thanks.

Your initial heading said "55 steering wheel recommendations", but your post relates to '56. Does anyone know if a '56 smaller wheel can be used on the '55 column? Most advertisers don't even mention the interchange possibilities. Thanks

2 inches in circumference is 1 inch on each side, no noticeable difference in steering. Don't need any adapter. Hard to believe Ford would change steering columns. does need a little filing. its a really tight fit without some filing of the coggs.

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket steering wheel and adapter for a '56 T-Bird?
I got one from Amos Minter. It is not keyed and the spline is off by a few thow. It will go on but apply anti-seize to remove it more easily. Mark your original key location onto the new one for reference using a sharpie or a center punch. It is smaller in diameter so you will be getting in/out easier. It is also not flat but concaved like a '57.

who is Amos Minter. don't know what you mean about keying it. yes its smaller and at 6-2 its a little easier in and out. That and disc brakes on front and moving exhaust under the back bumper its stock and in good shape. Having Trans rebuilt now. And last but not least ts for sale...alex

who is Amos Minter. don't know what you mean about keying it. yes its smaller and at 6-2 its a little easier in and out. That and disc brakes on front and moving exhaust under the back bumper its stock and in good shape. Having Trans rebuilt now. And last but not least ts for sale...alex

I put on disks too, SS gas tank, radials and mags.

A key is a spot on a shaft with a wide groove that corresponds to a hole with a mating keyway. Amos Minter's are reproductions that are not exactly splined to mate and do not have a corresponding key at all. But they are so close it is insignificant but you must find home without a key.

Having a difficult time finding a 55 steering wheel. Anyone know if other Ford models with a flat wheel would fit, in terms of spline, horn ring etc. Thanks

Does any other ford flat steering wheel fit ? or is it unique to 55 tbird model and year only ?

Back