1955 Paint engine bay w/o engine removal

MJB1

MJB1

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just wondering if anyone has painted their engine bay without removing engine and trans?
How did it turn out?
Thanks guys

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just wondering if anyone has painted their engine bay without removing engine and trans?
How did it turn out?
Thanks guys
I did many years ago. It was touch & go. I did unbolt the hood release mechanism so I could get behind it. I forgot to tape off the fender junction blocks so they got painted. It's starting to peel in a few spots and you can see the original Coral Sand in a few spots as I didn't clean it well enough first.
I had about a quart of paint leftover from the original repaint and used a DIY spray system with a glass container and a can of propellant to do it. Rattle cans are now available and if the color is not perfect not a problem for touch ups as I'm not going to eat off it.
Then it's the blackened intake manifold water pump and finally P/S fluid reservoir.

I did many years ago. It was touch & go. I did unbolt the hood release mechanism so I could get behind it. I forgot to tape off the fender junction blocks so they got painted. It's starting to peel in a few spots and you can see the original Coral Sand in a few spots as I didn't clean it well enough first.
I had about a quart of paint leftover from the original repaint and used a DIY spray system with a glass container and a can of propellant to do it. Rattle cans are now available and if the color is not perfect not a problem for touch ups as I'm not going to eat off it.
Then it's the blackened intake manifold water pump and finally P/S fluid reservoir.
Thanks Ward 57. I also was thinking of taking mechanism off . So you did do the engine bay the factory color of the car? I have seen some that were done in black and I don't think they look as good as original color.
Just my thoughts.

How did it turn out?
Thanks guys
A friend of mine has a 1955 Thunderbird the same color as mine. In 2018, he painted the engine bay with the engine still in the car. Here are some before and after pictures.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Befire 1.JPG

Before 2.JPG

After 1.JPG

After 2.JPG

Thanks Ward 57. I also was thinking of taking mechanism off . So you did do the engine bay the factory color of the car? I have seen some that were done in black and I don't think they look as good as original color.
Just my thoughts.
The factory color was Coral Sand but was painted a Navy blue when I got it including the trunk. The engine compartment had been left the original color. The whole car is now Colonial white so I did the engine compartment to match. The hood had been undercoated probably at the dealer so I left that black.

Last edited:
Well Doug, that looks terrific. He did a spectacular job. I’m guessing lots of masking ? Is the hood mechanism attached with nuts on the other side of the firewall or will removing the bolts be a straight forward job with fixed nuts on the inner side?

Well Doug, that looks terrific. He did a spectacular job. I’m guessing lots of masking ? Is the hood mechanism attached with nuts on the other side of the firewall or will removing the bolts be a straight forward job with fixed nuts on the inner side?
The hood mechanism is attached with studs on the firewall so it is a simple job to just undo the nuts on the brackets. Yah I did a lot of masking.

Thanks @Ward 57 . I have assumed in the past that the nuts were fixed to the metal and sure enough, after the first bit of loosening, they’re not and they are in the most awkward position under some monster obstacle that takes hours to eventually go behind. I am not looking for any more gyrations my body can’t cash out on.

Thanks for the pictures and information Doug. That is the exact same color as mine. Very nice job. Well done!!
I will get the masking tape out this week....

Thanks for the pictures and information Doug. That is the exact same color as mine. Very nice job. Well done!!
It will be a few months before I can get to that. Now low 30's in the day and freezing at night here in the inland Pacific NW.

Haha, same here in the northeast. All winter we had freakishly warm temperature and now that I would like to do a few things outside, it is 34 today.

Don't just remove the hood mechanism, remove the master cylinder too. Not only is it easier to paint the firewall with the master cylinder removed, most likely the paint is peeled from spilled brake fluid or from a master cylinder that was leaking at some point in the past.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Firewall.jpg

Absolutely can be done, did my ’57 last year. I would commend removing as much as possible, and it's a great time to rebuild and paint the parts, radiator, power brake booster, master cylinder, heater housing, battery, etc. Lots of cleaning, degreasing, filling, sanding and finally masking. I used an epoxy primer then three coats of finish. P.S., I'm not a purist, so good time to have some parts chromed.

Attachments

• IMG_6470.jpg
    IMG_6470.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6471.jpg
    IMG_6471.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6472.jpg
    IMG_6472.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6476.jpg
    IMG_6476.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
So what do you suggest for cleaning the surface prior to painting

A balmy -5 C ( 23F ) up here in the great white north.
About 400 miles north of where Doug is.
In the Central Interior of BC
A foot of snow last night.
Beautiful job on the engine bay Calistoga T-Bird
Thanks to all of you for the pictures and your suggestions.

I like using Eastwood Low VOC Pre Paint Prep, but be careful not to get it on any painted surfaces you won't be painting, it will strip the paint.

I like using Eastwood Low VOC Pre Paint Prep, but be careful not to get it on any painted surfaces you won't be painting, it will strip the paint.
Can you add some details to the master cylinder you are using? Is the rest of your power brake stock? This looks interesting

Back