1955 Original Radiator & Leaf Springs Value

LilyBird

LilyBird

Keeping The Ride Alive-In Memory of Dave Demory
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I chose to replace the original radiator rather than spend $2K to have it repaired/refurbed. Does it have any value to diehard stock owners? Same with leaf springs. One is broken. Do I take to scrap metal yard or do they have any value? Maybe Steampunk collectors would appreciate? Any advice and/or info on value or best options for passing on is appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If it has a Date Code / ID stamp on the top tank it can have value to someone doing a concours restoration.
The early-ish '55 Thunderbirds had the part ID and date on a soldered-on tag. Later Birds had the info stamped directly into the top of the tank, from the inside before assembly.

If the radiator you have has the date & ID letters / numbers finding a person who wants it may take a while???
Finding a buyer for old leaf springs might take even longer? Fyi, '55 leaf springs are a different length than '56/'57.

Attachments

• rad date code tag.jpg
    rad date code tag.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • date code radiator.jpg
    date code radiator.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
  • leaf spring.jpg
    leaf spring.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I chose to replace the original radiator rather than spend $2K to have it repaired/refurbed. Does it have any value to diehard stock owners? Same with leaf springs. One is broken. Do I take to scrap metal yard or do they have any value? Maybe Steampunk collectors would appreciate? Any advice and/or info on value or best options for passing on is appreciated.
Repairing a radiator should be a few hundred bucks, maximum. The originals were copper and soldering copper is easy. The problem is that manufacturing technology has made production so economical, that aftermarket radiators are pretty inexpensive and much less time is needed to swap them out rather than tie up a service bay while repairs are being done. Also, the art of soldering is being lost. You may want to try your and at it with a $20 propane kit. Watch a few videos and try your hand at it. It's really no big deal once you get the hang of it. Unfortunately, most modern ones are just "Tube and Fin" cores potted into the caps with an epoxy-like material. I pulled mine but kept it. I got a stainless gas tank too and scrapped the old one. Copper is a superior thermal conductor. You may want to have it stripped, polished and lacquered. You will be pleasantly surprised. The springs are probably scrap. Many shops re-arc and produce new to spec. for little cost.

If it has a Date Code / ID stamp on the top tank it can have value to someone doing a concours restoration.
The early-ish '55 Thunderbirds had the part ID and date on a soldered-on tag.
The radiator tag shows the engineering number AH-8005-B; the manufacturer (MC) McCord Radiator Company; J54 is the date code; J is the 10th month of 1954.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

rad date code tag.jpg

I am curious; Who or where were you quoted $2000 for a radiator repair? That seems about 10 times what I would have to pay in Northern California.

I am curious; Who or where were you quoted $2000 for a radiator repair? That seems about 10 times what I would have to pay in Northern California.
I'm in Northern WA, on a small island. Very hard to find classic/vintage car mechanics or any mechanic I trust to work on my car in this area, north of Seattle. Probably could have taken it into Seattle for less $$, but that's a headache for me. I only called the one shop in the Mt. Vernon area which was a referral. I opted for a new Champion and had my guy swap it out. Works great now. Thanks for input

The radiator tag shows the engineering number AH-8005-B; the manufacturer (MC) McCord Radiator Company; J54 is the date code; J is the 10th month of 1954.
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
doug7740, Yes, it may(?) be one of the few original parts on my '55. I have no proof that it is, just the tag itself on the radiator. Too many previous owners and the car was apparently rebuilt from a wreck back in the 60's or maybe 70's.
The build date on the firewall data plate is in the second week of Nov. '54... But it's not one of the first 1000 55's built.

Attachments

• Date Month Letter Codes.png
    Date Month Letter Codes.png
    402.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210413_142115 rad date.jpg
    20210413_142115 rad date.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Since your car was built in November 1954 and the date code on the radiator is October 1954, it would be safe to say that the top tank of the radiator is original.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I'm in Northern WA, on a small island. Very hard to find classic/vintage car mechanics or any mechanic I trust to work on my car in this area, north of Seattle. Probably could have taken it into Seattle for less $$, but that's a headache for me. I only called the one shop in the Mt. Vernon area which was a referral. I opted for a new Champion and had my guy swap it out. Works great now. Thanks for input
I don't know why they didn't just tell you they did not want to work on your radiator. that is what they really told you. $2000 is beyond the pale of overcharging. At that rate they would go out of business very soon since a new radiator is less than $800 from any Thunderbird supplier.

Having lived in the islands you are living on it’s not that far up to Bellingham where I’m sure you can find a shop there that would be much more affordable

Back