1955 key won't go in ignition switch | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1955 key won't go in ignition switch

• Thread starter Thread starter snook2000
  • Start date Start date
snook2000
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have a 55 Thunderbird that I parked came back and when I went to put my key into the ignition switch, it would not go in. My research says I need a key to change the lock cylinder. What are my options with no key and how do I get the ignition switch out of my dashboard if that is my only option?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have you tried lubricating the lock? There are ways to get it out , but they are destructive. A lock smith may be a good option here.

If you do get the key to finally go in I wouldn't remove it and instead do the lock cylinder removal procedure to get a good look at what might be the issue. They key may not go in twice.

Back