1955 Has anyone used “Chevy Orange” for engine color? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1955 Has anyone used “Chevy Orange” for engine color?

• Thread starter Thread starter photoguy
  • Start date Start date
photoguy

photoguy

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Afternoon,

I’m working on my engine and bay (wiring, replacing parts, painting, etc.), appears the previous owner painted Chevy Orange, was chipped and such so couldn’t tell 100%. I purchased a can of POR 15 orange, put one coat on today, I love the color just not sure it’s a good match to my red 55’. Wondering If anyone has painted there’s Chevy orange?

Excuse my ugly engine bay, will look much prettier in coming weeks, lol.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5284.jpeg
    IMG_5284.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

That looks more red than Chevy Orange and maybe more correct in your case.
I've done boatloads of Chevy Orange
PA300025.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks more red than Chevy Orange and maybe more correct in your case.
I've done boatloads of Chevy Orange
I don‘t have experience with Chevy Orange, but it’s very orange. I work with color all day for my career (photographer), I’m sure there’s some red in the mix, but standing next to the engine it’s bright orange. Maybe it’s not represented accurately in my pic? It’s POR 15 Chevy Orange.

Thanks

Afternoon,

I’m working on my engine and bay (wiring, replacing parts, painting, etc.), appears the previous owner painted Chevy Orange, was chipped and such so couldn’t tell 100%. I purchased a can of POR 15 orange, put one coat on today, I love the color just not sure it’s a good match to my red 55’. Wondering If anyone has painted there’s Chevy orange?

Excuse my ugly engine bay, will look much prettier in coming weeks, lol.

Thanks!
I painted all my Y-Blocks chevy (small "c" intentionally lowercase) Orange because that is what the original Ford Red degraded to. My dad's new 1956 Customline did just that, and if you run across an original early Y-Block, you'll see for yourself that it has degraded to chevy Orange. I once used this very fact to justify my using chevy Orange to a group of Ford Red guys at a Crown Victoria Association convention.

I was really concerned before starting this project, my engine and bay definitely need a refresh, just wasn’t sure I could pull it off. The exterior is actually really good, was repainted at some point. The project seems to be working out, lots of prep, I’m using POR 15 products. Polished the valve covers, and painted the exhaust manifolds as well. Started painting frame as well. Believe the most difficult will be the bay, lots of masking, fingers crossed. Not interested in having a perfect Bird, just a nice driver.

I’m replacing a few parts, and rewiring under the hood as well.
IMG_5274.jpegIMG_5346.jpeg

Looks nice! It would surprise you how good a big Chevy looks in Ford regal blue....

Back