Correct Engine paint for my 1955 Thunderbird

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently (2 months ago) completely re painted my 292 engine with the Seymour HiTech Engine Enamel that is supposed to be correct for a1955 Thunderbird. Unfortunately this past Saturday while taking the engine off the test stand some gas spilled onto the intake manifold, head, and down onto the block. Within a minute the paint wrinkled up and in spots completely came off. I talked with Seymour before I started my painting project to make sure I had all the information they had on preparation and painting. I was surprised to see the paint breakdown so fast as we wiped it off immediately. I called Seymour this morning and they said because I had used six coats off paint that it probably hadn’t cured ?! I’m doing some tests to actually try and see if the rest of the engine paint is cured.
In the mean time I was told that rattle can paint is not what I should have used. A national body shop paint and supply company told me I should have used a “catalyzed” paint. So while I try and see if they can match the Seymour EN 44 color Ford/Chrysler Red/Orange. I’m looking to see it anyone else has used a different paint? I appreciate any help.

JDJ

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recently (2 months ago) completely re painted my 292 engine with the Seymour HiTech Engine Enamel that is supposed to be correct for a1955 Thunderbird. Unfortunately this past Saturday while taking the engine off the test stand some gas spilled onto the intake manifold, head, and down onto the block. Within a minute the paint wrinkled up and in spots completely came off. I talked with Seymour before I started my painting project to make sure I had all the information they had on preparation and painting. I was surprised to see the paint breakdown so fast as we wiped it off immediately. I called Seymour this morning and they said because I had used six coats off paint that it probably hadn’t cured ?! I’m doing some tests to actually try and see if the rest of the engine paint is cured.
In the mean time I was told that rattle can paint is not what I should have used. A national body shop paint and supply company told me I should have used a “catalyzed” paint. So while I try and see if they can match the Seymour EN 44 color Ford/Chrysler Red/Orange. I’m looking to see it anyone else has used a different paint? I appreciate any help.

JDJ

Google Bill Hersh paints I have had great results with their productsl

This is what I have used, I'm not sure if I'm completely happy yet. I do have some 3 day old painted parts soaking in kerosene hoping it'll come off.
Please ignore the dirty valve covers and other areas that haven't been attended to as of that picture

Attachments

• 20190730_173558.jpg
    20190730_173558.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190805_183101.jpg
    20190805_183101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
This is what I have used, I'm not sure if I'm completely happy yet. I do have some 3 day old painted parts soaking in kerosene hoping it'll come off.
Please ignore the dirty valve covers and other areas that haven't been attended to as of that picture
Here's part that had 3 day old paint and been in kerosene for a week. It's cracking from being too thick. But the kerosene doesn't have any affect.

Correction, there seems to be some bubbling at the lower edge of that pic

Attachments

• 20190805_183700.jpg
    20190805_183700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I talked with and got small painted samples from Bill Hirsh. The samples did not match the correct Seymour EN44 Ford/Chrysler Red Orange which is the original 55 color. And it looks like a non Seymour product on Taters engine (which by the way looks great). I’m hopefully tomorrow going to find out more about the “catalyzed” paint that is what the professional engine painters supposedly use on engines. I’ll let you know.
Thanks for the replies.

Had excellent results from KBS coatings. Used their 'Motor Coater Kit' in Thunderbird Red. Been on the engine for over 2 years and have had no issues. I brushed mine with a sponge brush. Had a few fuel spills with no adverse effects. Even the center runners on the intake manifold are unburnt (i did use the gaskets with the restrictor however)

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Motor-Coater.html

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
Back