1955 Hard Top Storage

Acme Jim

Acme Jim

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After searching for a nice pre-built system to get my hard top for my 55 T-Bird up and out of the way, I decided to design and build my own. Everything I could find that was out there just looked cheap, was cheaply built, required a bunch of ropes and pullies, or was way overpriced for what you would get. If you are like me, I very rarely put my hard top one (I put it on once the day I bought it and brought it home). I wanted it to be a part of the car still when it was in the garage, so I came up with a simple storage rack above the car. I built it out of 2" x 2" square steel tube and had my shop paint it a satin black. I have floor joists for the loft in my garage, so there was plenty to lag bolt in to. I think it looks fantastic, and I can easily take it down by myself with a 6' step ladder if I ever do want to put it on the car. Feel free to make one for yourself!
2021-01-31 11.15.30.jpg
2021-01-31 11.15.59.jpg
2021-01-31 11.14.09.jpg
T-Bird Rack1.jpg
T-Bird Rack2.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Nice work and great documentation. But how in the world can you manhandle that down by yourself on a 6' step ladder. Sounds like a prescription for disaster. I use 3 point strap and pully for mine so I can remove and install it myself. I drop it on every winter and remove every spring so it has to be practical.

It is a fiberglass top, so I can easily lift the top by myself. Put the ladder centered underneath and lift it out. I have to move the car forward. But I have only put the hard top on my car once. I am not a fan of all the pulleys... But whatever works for you!

It must be an aftermarket top. I can see a glistening inside, so no headliner and could be light weight. The originals are a minimum 85Lbs and can not be handled by one person.

Yes it is an aftermarket top.

I as well fabricated a hoist system utilizing a very light duty boat trailer winch ( that I adapted to be powered by one of my cordless drills). An aluminum T frame connected to some light duty s/s cable 3 adjustable motor cycle tie down straps and there you have it (sorry no pics)
Works like a charm. And I remove in spring and reinstall in fall by myself.
Here in N E we don’t have the luxury of leaving the top off all the time.

I'm just amazed at the ingenuity. I guess it's just part of keeping these old gems going. Gear heads are known for thinking out of the box. Just think of the things we take for granted now that were divested from grass root necessity. High tech geeks may dominate your phones but do they know how to fix a plumbing leak?

Totally agree Ward :)
It’s just what us old farts do.
As the age old saying goes “necessity is the mother of invention” part of the enjoyment of owning these old rigs is working on them and figuring things out. Kudos to all who do it.

After searching for a nice pre-built system to get my hard top for my 55 T-Bird up and out of the way, I decided to design and build my own. Everything I could find that was out there just looked cheap, was cheaply built, required a bunch of ropes and pullies, or was way overpriced for what you would get. If you are like me, I very rarely put my hard top one (I put it on once the day I bought it and brought it home). I wanted it to be a part of the car still when it was in the garage, so I came up with a simple storage rack above the car. I built it out of 2" x 2" square steel tube and had my shop paint it a satin black. I have floor joists for the loft in my garage, so there was plenty to lag bolt in to. I think it looks fantastic, and I can easily take it down by myself with a 6' step ladder if I ever do want to put it on the car. Feel free to make one for yourself!
View attachment 15432
View attachment 15433
View attachment 15434
View attachment 15435
View attachment 15436
Great job Acme Jim, The Garage, Loft, Bar Room, Bird & Rack all look great. I am guessing the hardtop is considerably lighter than the 83 lb 2005 I own. I love the look of the originals but happy with my anniversary edition.

like the design i worry about, with the original heavy hardtop, damage to the rubber weather stripping...is this a problem?

Hi,
Just a comment about the top hoist that I fabricated in the picture above. Over 95% of the weight of the top in on the lower 2x4. The two orange web straps are just safety straps, there is negligible tension in them.
Doug

thanks for the ideas, plan on working on one in the spring when the top comes off for spring summer and fall.

Like Southpaw, I fret over those expensive weatherstrips on my original top. Biddle's arrangement is very close to the rig I've got my top swinging from, only his seems to be more weatherstrip friendly. @biddle, I wonder how easy it is for one person to install or remove the top? I get to do that job very infrequently, but I'm always by myself.

I meant to ask @Douglemmo , thanks @biddle for bringing that post back up!

Last edited by a moderator:
like the design i worry about, with the original heavy hardtop, damage to the rubber weather stripping...is this a problem?
I wouldn't worry about it too much, Especially if the weather striping is in good shape and not starting to get 'sticky'. If you leave it on for winter months the rubber should adjust and reform.

View attachment 15432
View attachment 15433
View attachment 15434
View attachment 15435
View attachment 15436
I agree it's a light made top. I mounted a elec powered hoist in the ceiling fully braced to handle heavy loads, then made a light weight PVC tubing frame to go thru the window area with a strap going to the bottom of the back behind the window at the end of the strap using a metal U shaped bracket covered to protect the top from scratches. Very simple,,I drive under the hoist, with a hand held control, press a down button to hook to the tube assy, press the up button, and up goes the top to the ceiling,,covered first to prevent dust, All this in just minutes. Charles

Back