1955 Door Latch Replacement

BillMc

BillMc

1955 Built October 1954
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to replace the left door latch in my 1955 Thunderbird. Does anyone know where I can get directions?

When you say door latch, do you mean the latch on the door or the striker plate on the body frame?

I need to replace the left door latch in my 1955 Thunderbird. Does anyone know where I can get directions?
Your title "I need to replace the left door latch in my 55, does anyone know where I might get directions as to how to do it!" has been revised. On future posts, please use the four-digit model year of your car along with a short summary of your post.

model-year.jpg

I've never seen a step by step set of instructions, that doesn't mean they dont exist some where. I just finished doing my driver's door lock. You should have a special tool to remove the inside door handle and window crank. I believe most of the T-bird dealers sell them. It's not expensive. Yes there are other ways to get them off but this is the best way to do it. You need to remove the insde door panel. A few screws and I believe 5 snaps,3on the back 2 on the front. Use a screwdriver to locate there exact location. Use a large screwdriver and pry out right at the clip. remove access panel. roll window all the way up. remove the glass rear track. I took out my outside handle. 3 screws hold the inside door latch mech. remove the 3 screws then you can slide off from latch. Now remove the 4 screws holding the lock assy. Some also have a bolt or screw on inside. Have fun

I've never seen a step by step set of instructions, that doesn't mean they dont exist some where. I just finished doing my driver's door lock. You should have a special tool to remove the inside door handle and window crank. I believe most of the T-bird dealers sell them. It's not expensive. Yes there are other ways to get them off but this is the best way to do it. You need to remove the insde door panel. A few screws and I believe 5 snaps,3on the back 2 on the front. Use a screwdriver to locate there exact location. Use a large screwdriver and pry out right at the clip. remove access panel. roll window all the way up. remove the glass rear track. I took out my outside handle. 3 screws hold the inside door latch mech. remove the 3 screws then you can slide off from latch. Now remove the 4 screws holding the lock assy. Some also have a bolt or screw on inside. Have fun
Window crank tool.

Attachments

• window crank tool.jpg
    window crank tool.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
I just replaced my drivers side door latch and striker plate. I tried to upgrade to the 56/57 latch but the latch was too long to fit my door. I had to return the latch and striker plate. I had to send my latch to have it rebuilt. To remove my door latch, I had to remove the door glass, regulator and the rear glass guide. Good luck.

Back