1955 as everyday driver

My name is Ben Thomson, and I am 17 yrs old interested in classic and antique cars. I have been looking for a car for a while now, because my parents drive me everywhere and I’m sure they are tired of it. The ‘55 t bird has caught my eye the most as a car that would get me out of bed and want to go to school, and I think it would be a great car for me. YES I know it’s not as safe as a modern car and the insurance will be higher, but I don’t mind those things because it’s something I would love to drive. I know I should make a few mods to make it a little bit safer such as the breaks and what not, but can anybody answer for me, is the ‘55 a reliable car? Yes I’m also aware it is probably not as reliable as a modern car but is it reliable enough for everyday use? I am prepared for anything the car throws my way since I took advantage of the job market and I have studied the engine if there’s a problem. Also is there any other mods that would make it a more reliable or safe car without ruining it? Thanks
i have my 57 insured thru Hagerty and it only costs a little over 200 a year

Ben, I hate to rain on your parade: I really do. I think it’s great to see young people interested in classic cars. And while I’m far from an expert, I do have a ‘57 Thunderbird, and I’d recommend against you getting one as your daily driver for three reasons:

1. To quote an earlier response:

“A car that needs no major repairs, has power steering and brakes and both (good) tops will set you back at least $40k today, and it will be imperfect at that price. Count on spending $$$$$ on maintenance and improvement.”

Truer words were never spoken and they reflect my own experience precisely. So, unless you have a *lot* of excess income (not just for the initial purchase, but the many thousands of dollars in maintenance/repairs); or you have (a) the skills to do most such work yourself *and* (b) a lot of spare time (which seems unlikely at your age), your thunderbird might end up sitting around a lot more than being driven.

2. Driving Safety: I don’t know anything about the engineering of modern v classic cars. I do know that modern driving habits are very different then they were historically. That means, when driving a classic T-Bird, you’re either “out of sync” with 99.9% of the drivers around you (which is dangerous because you will be driving in a manner they’re not used to anticipating; or they will be driving in a manner that is very hard for you to react to in a T-Bird (longer braking distance, different turning ratio, etc.); or you drive in a manner to try to be “in sync” with the drivers around you, which the T-Bird is not designed to do. So, while it’s true that young folks drove these cars when the cars were new (and indeed, drove much more aggressive cars too), *everyone else around them was driving roughly the same kind of cars with roughly the same kind of habits.* (And, even so, traffic deaths and injuries were a lot higher then than now.)

3. Personal safety: there are two aspects to this:

(a) I am guessing that, given your age, you have at most 2 years of driving experience. By contrast, I have 35 years of driving experience, so I am very familiar with traffic patterns, my own reaction times, gauging necessary stopping distances, looking out for pedestrians, etc.; and I am nonetheless still *extremely* cautious driving my T-Bird. I would imagine, then, that trying to drive it well and safely without those decades of experience would be exponentially harder.

(b) Attempted theft. The T-bird will draw a lot of attention, some of it unwanted. At my current age, my reaction to an attempted carjacking would be “Sure, here’s the keys! Want me to clean the interior before you steal it? Happy to; just don’t hurt me!” :). I just am at an age and station in life where material possessions aren’t worth even the slightest risk to my safety. By contrast, when I was *your* age, at best, I likely would at least mouth off to or cuss the carjacker out; at worst, I’d try to physically resist or speed away. Neither would be smart.

My advice: get an unexciting reliable car like a Honda as your daily driver. Then use whatever discretionary funds you have to occasionally rent a classic thru Hagerty RideShare (or wherever) and also go to classic car shows, join a local classic T-bird club, etc., to keep your love of the classic cars alive. Then, spend a couple of decades making and saving money. By then, you’ll be middle-aged. *Then* buy a T-Bird as your second car. :) (And In the meantime, get friendly with and do some labor for some of the “old heads” in your local t-bird club and prove yourself trustworthy: maybe they’ll let you take one of their cars for a spin now and then!)

Last edited:
i have my 57 insured thru Hagerty and it only costs a little over 200 a year
Is it insured for those under 25 years old, unmarried and 15,000 miles per year driving?

Is it insured for those under 25 years old, unmarried and 15,000 miles per year driving?
Good point. The first car I ever bought new was a VW Scirocco. I was young and single and selling VWs so I got a good deal. It was basically a Rabbit in the front and a sporty hatch back in the rear. Didn't realize the insurance was twice that of a Rabbit. Only had it a year or two as I couldn't afford the insurance at that age.

My name is Ben Thomson, and I am 17 yrs old interested in classic and antique cars. I have been looking for a car for a while now, because my parents drive me everywhere and I’m sure they are tired of it. The ‘55 t bird has caught my eye the most as a car that would get me out of bed and want to go to school, and I think it would be a great car for me. YES I know it’s not as safe as a modern car and the insurance will be higher, but I don’t mind those things because it’s something I would love to drive. I know I should make a few mods to make it a little bit safer such as the breaks and what not, but can anybody answer for me, is the ‘55 a reliable car? Yes I’m also aware it is probably not as reliable as a modern car but is it reliable enough for everyday use? I am prepared for anything the car throws my way since I took advantage of the job market and I have studied the engine if there’s a problem. Also is there any other mods that would make it a more reliable or safe car without ruining it? Thanks
It tends to overheat. You want to have a 6 blade fan and perhaps electric. You better know the ignition system of a car of that age. You need to know that it is standard at 6 volts unless already modified. You will also need to change the brake system too. 55 did not even have seat belts much less a whole shoulder system... If you are seeking a daily driver already to go you are probably at $25-30K too.

Biddle "nailed it" I hope he leaves the "non-Ford" images on here to reinforce his point.

You can do everything right 100% of the time and some teenager updating their Facebook page can change your life in an instant of distraction.

You brought up two things, reliability and safety, I'm a rarity in that I can give you "real-world" personal experience with both.

I can tell you a vintage car can be as reliable as you have the skills to make and maintain it. This fastback Mustang made the 3 hour run from Tidewater, Virginia to Southern Maryland (where I worked during the week) EVERY weekend for two years at 65 mph in the late 90's. Never once, let me down or gave me a problem; it was also my daily driver in Maryland while I worked there. However, original and even good repro parts are harder to get now and a water pump or other failure might take you days or weeks to resolve, not good for a daily driver.
View attachment 22018
Safety is an entirely different issue, these cars have no crush zones, collision, computer "nannies". airbags, ABS brakes, shoulder harnesses, side impact protection, collapsible steering columns and on and on. And now, with distracted drivers, texting and possibly under the influence or just plain aggressive - its not the same world when I commutted. Trust me on this, I have first hand expereince, my 63 Corvette in 2016. Aggressive, uninsured driver on a sunny, summer Sunday afternoon in an Escalade pulled right out in front of me. $65,000 and 18 months to repair it, I got knocked out and if it were any worse I wouldn't be typing this. My meticulous attention to maintenance (like the original drum brakes and lap seatbelts) saved my life; the perfectly opreating brakes hauling me down from 40 mph to a survivable speed before impact.

Others will disagree but I wouldn't recommend a vintage car for a dialy driver.... They are great weekend crusiers and a wonderful hobby though.
View attachment 22019

A word on classic car insurance, nearly all policies provide a low premium because risk is reduced as the car is driven a limited number of miles and usually to car events. They also provide "agreed value" meaning you and the insurance company determina a value for damage repairs/replacement - this Corvette had a $95,000 policy. A Daily Driver policy will be substantially more expensive and may only be "stated value" - meaning, if the car is wrecked, it would most likley be totalled and the compensation would be for a 60 year old, used car and next to nothing. Do your homework on this.

Just so people don't worry too much, the Corvette was repaired by an expert with 50 year sin the biz and sold last June to a South African collector for a substantial sum.
View attachment 22020
At least 90% of the motorists I see on the highway during commute hours, have their eyes on their smart phones, not the road, texting/surfing the net; they are not teenagers. About a month ago, a 63-year-old driver of a Ford F550/750 ran a 4-way stop and plowed into a 27-year-old, who was on his way to work. The driver of the truck probably was going 55+, considering 55 is the posted speed limit on country roads. The 27-year-old, his parents' only child, was killed. He had been engaged to my daughter.

With all the caveats I still want to reinforce what a great hobby classic cars are; even though they can be a challenge, if you have a stressful life you'll find out that they can be incredibly therapeutic, maintaining them, detailing and dricving them, on occassion. Having to keep one running to get to work everyday is a different ballgame if you have to depend on it.
I don't know much about the early T-birds, but they are pretty primitive I'm betting, if you can snag a first gen Mustang they are incredibly easy to keep running and the reproduction market is extensive. I'm an hour from a National Parts Depot warehouse and you could almost build a Mustang from their parts, nearly all of which are available across the counter there.

The old cars were perfectly reliable back in their day. I had 60 Corvair, 62 nova as first cars and AFTER the stuff that needed fixing was fixed they were perfectly reliable. Started every time, took me all over the state and the southwest whenever I wanted to go somewhere. Yes, things did break once in a while but things break on modern cars too. If you want a 55 to be a daily driver the real problem I think you will have is that one that's had all the "stuff fixed", which includes new hoses, brakes, petronix ignition, radiator, heater core, speedometer rebuild, engine at least well cared for and in good shape, good u-joints, good suspension parts, recovered seats etc, you'll be looking at the cost of an inexpensive new modern car.. depending on how lucky you are at finding a deal I'd expect you'll pay in the range of 30Kish. You could certainly get one for less but I don't think it would be truly dependable out of the box.
All listed above and then there is rust issues. Before you buy anything from the 50s 60s or 70s . Have an older mechanic or body shop guy look it over. Rust is big on the 1st gen t birds . Door hinge supports, at the frame in front of the rear wheels. Anywhere water can go from the tires. Under each side of the windshield/ door frame.. floors, inner rockers wheel houses in the rear. Inner rear quarters. Frame etc. just a thought. But there are nice clean t birds out there for 30k or so

In 1955 they were daily drivers, today they are reliable as long as you take care of them. I'll be 70 in a month and a half and my daily driver has been a 50's-60's or 70's car since I started driving. My '66 Econoline pickup is my daily commuter because it's a pickup it has never left me on the road. My summer fair weather ride is a '76 CJ7, And the '55 T-bird I just bought last week will be my summer ride as well. If you are mechanical and plan on doing your own work, they are easier to fix than any new car.

I think an early T-Bird is a great idea for a young man like you (could be a babe magnet). I've been driving my '57 for 57 years and it's only let me down once, when the fuel pump failed. Reliability for any car you get will be determined by the condition of the engine and overall car. Fortunately, parts are readily available through several T-Bird specialty shops and the cars are easy, and simple, to work on. The only thing questionable about everyday driving is weather. Keeping rain out can be a challenge. I can't speak for insurance - I have mine on classic car insurance which precludes daily driving. Well maintained drum brakes are fine, just old technology. There are disc brake conversion kits available. Go for it! Good luck and have fun.

Ben, I, too, am very impressed with your story and questions about the reliability of a '55 T Bird. I'm on the other end of the age spectrum..80..and have just acquired my first Bird...the '56 shown in my avatar.

I get your attraction to the '55 and agree completely with your observations about the design and style. I'm a self-taught car mechanic, but did go through an excellent Air Force technical school for Ground Power during the Viet Nam era. All of my early Ford experience prior to getting our '56 has been of the Flat Head era...which means the valves are in the block vs. in the cylinder heads like our Birds.
This car is in really good shape bodywise, having spent most of its prior life in Texas. No rust anywhere and as far as I can tell, no repaired body work. However, I'm still working on making it reliable. Have had to rebuild/replace carburetor, fuel pump, starter bendix, ignition, rear main oil seal, oil pump, and exhaust. The only parts problem was to find a way to rebuild the fuel pump....kits not available and old non-China cores non-existent!

My goal is to make this car reliable. If I had to depend on it to get me to my job, I'm not sure this would be the best choice...maybe if I had a used late model alternative as back up!! Also, the comment about "easy to work on" is a relative term. Compared to my pre and post WWll Fords, this one is more challenging!! (But this is the reason I bought the car!!)

Please keep us in the loop here. Think you'll find this Forum invaluable if you decide to proceed!

Regards....Dick.

To reaffirm other comments... repair parts have gotten really expensive in the last year or so, feels like they have doubled in price, and they were expensive before.
Most of the new replacement parts are made off-shore (china) and are barely worth even looking at. Poor build quality and very often defective in the box.
Back-ordered parts are now a fact of life too.
Unless you can do all the repairs yourself you'll need other folks and shops to help with the work it will need. Generic auto repair shops will not work on classic cars. You'll need to find specialty places for repairs, and join a local T-Bird club chapter for the invaluable support and knowledge they have.

I drive my '55 on errands to drive-thru / pickup windows and to other places where I can keep my eye on it.
I wouldn't drive it to work or out in the evenings unless there was on-site security. If so, get to know the guard(s) well so they'll keep an extra eye on it for you.

It's a 68 year old car... let that sink in... it will have unexpected breakdowns. You'll need a road service / towing plan and another vehicle to dependably get you to work on the many days you don't or can't drive the T-Bird.

Attachments

• 20220324_164429.jpg
    20220324_164429.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Ben, not sure where you are in your daily driver considerations, but another possibility for you might be one of the late model reproductions. Prices now are reasonable and include many "modern" safety and reliability features!! Yes, these are not the vintage birds, but food for your thinking??

How about an update?

Back