1955 292 timing marks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

clean the area of the marks. you will see that one of them is longer and goes from one side of the ridge to the other while the rest of the marks are only about half that link. The long mark is TDC

Thanks I guessed that. I tested it at TDC but used the distributor. Should have pulled #1 plug! Runs great at 6° BTDC. Since I’m at 2600’ I might try 7°BTDC. They say advance 1/2° For every 1000’ of elevation.

The circle on the damper pulley is TDC and every mark before that is 2 degrees before TDC.

(See attached)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Timing Marks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The white mark on your picture is at 8° BTDC. Also. remember that you have to remove the metal vacuum advance line from the distributor and the idle speed should be at 500rpm while setting the ignition timing.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Yup
Previous owner marked it 6°BTDC
I thought that was TDC mark like we always did. So I added 6°BTDC to that mark, now I'm 12°BTDC w/87 octane no E fuel at 2600’ elevation. No pinging! Runs sweet!
Guess I’ll back off 5°

Mine likes 12 degree advance. Little larger than stock cam, likes idle at about 750rpm in park or neutral, then 500rpm in gear.

I agree and it looks like TDC is the one marked. Each other groove is is 2Deg before TDC.
OK on further review I didn't see the other marks to the left of the paint and had the rotation of the pully reversed. I'm surprised there is no pre-ignition advancing the timing that far.

Yup
Previous owner marked it 6°BTDC
I thought that was TDC mark like we always did. So I added 6°BTDC to that mark, now I'm 12°BTDC w/87 octane no E fuel at 2600’ elevation. No pinging! Runs sweet!
Guess I’ll back off 5°
Bought advanced timing light, set distributor to TDC #1, piston tdc, marks lined up to the deep mark. Set light to 7°BTDC and dialed in the timing.

I went to check timing on my 1957 D code 312 and can't find the timing marks. I know they should be on the rear edge of the crank pulley rather than the crankshaft damper. I've cleaned that edge off well and still can't find the marks. Do I need to take sandpaper to the edge or am I still looking at the wrong place? Thanks, Vern
tiiming mark pointer.jpg

If you cannot find the tiny grove on the pulley you may need to determine TDC on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder and mark the pulley. Make sure you are TDC. You can pull #1 spark plug and carefully insert a screwdriver or piece of coat hanger to determine TDC or you can remove the valve cover and determine TDC when number one valve is closed both intake and exhaust. Your distributor should point to number one spark plug wire. Remember you can either be 180° out on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke. Then look at the pulley to see if you can find the tiny little groove for TDC. Another way is to hook up your timing light and shine it on the pulley and if your car runs correctly, you should be close to 6° BDC and should be able to find the little groove. If you have an automatic. I had trouble finding mine.

If you cannot find the tiny grove on the pulley you may need to determine TDC on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder and mark the pulley. Make sure you are TDC. You can pull #1 spark plug and carefully insert a screwdriver or piece of coat hanger to determine TDC or you can remove the valve cover and determine TDC when number one valve is closed both intake and exhaust. Your distributor should point to number one spark plug wire. Remember you can either be 180° out on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke. Then look at the pulley to see if you can find the tiny little groove for TDC. Another way is to hook up your timing light and shine it on the pulley and if your car runs correctly, you should be close to 6° BDC and should be able to find the little groove. If you have an automatic. I had trouble finding mine.
Thanks zeroroadkill. I found that my dwell angle was way off and reset the point gap. The car runs pretty well now but I'm sure the timing is off after making a significant change to the point gap. I'll throw the timing light on it and see what it shows me. The points have seen better days so I ordered some NOS motorcraft points.

Vern

Found the marks. I cleaned them up for this picture but I must be getting old. I should have been able to see these marks.

timing marks.jpg

I assume the dark mark is TDC and each other mark is 2°BTDC up to 8°? If true I may have to re-time mine. It appears that whoever marked the damper pulley on my engine, marked it at 2° BTDC???? See my original picture at the top of this post. Please advise.

It's easier to just show you. Here's what I see (pardon the quick and dirty annotations). I have no idea what the white blobby thing is, maybe someone put a glob of paint on it to try to mark 6 degrees BTDC and just did a bad job of it.

timing marks.jpeg

Last edited:
Back