03 TBird Shifter

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Starting to have some trouble with getting the shifter to move from park to drive, etc. I depress the brake pedal but it takes a few times for the part you depress on shifter to give way to move it to drive? Any ideas on what to check, think it's something with brake pedal contact?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Maybe your shifter interlock solenoid. Its located in the console housing the shifter. Also there is a shifter pin that slides in and out once the solenoid is engaged. Over time this pin works its way out of its small hole. If the pin is the problem then use jb weld and apply with a tooth pick. Saved me 300 bucks for a new shifter. Keep me apprised. Phil

thx for info; i'm a little bit of a novice but like to tinker, so just take shifter housing off to find the part? Also, does depressing the brake pedal have anything to do with it?

Depressing the brake pedal sends the signal to activate the shifter solenoid. When you depress brake pedal do you hear a clicking noise? Thats the solenoid. Even though you may hear that noise it doesnt necessarily mean the solenoid is good. Mine made the clicking noise and was good however the engagement pin came out of its slot so i jb welded it and have no problems. Phil

when I depress the brake, I don't hear any clicking, just sound of pedal going down like a "swish". When i turn the car on, the pedal goes down quite a bit (i checked and fluid level is good in reservoir). After several pushings on the brake pedal, I can usually get the shifter to work and move. I have an 03 manual and in one section it shows how to take shifter off, however, after undoing the two side screws, the knob shifter still does not budge. i'm not sure how hard I can apply pressure to make it come off. If I understand correctly, need to do this in order to get to the pin you are talking about. Is the pin in the shifter handle or the solenoid itself which, I believe, is under the panel with the PRND on it?

Starting to have some trouble with getting the shifter to move from park to drive, etc. I depress the brake pedal but it takes a few times for the part you depress on shifter to give way to move it to drive? Any ideas on what to check, think it's something with brake pedal contact?

Just had the problem recently. It gets worse as time goes on. Dealer service agent knew immediately the problem -- it was the Brake Light Switch that needed to be replaced. Cost -- $92; 1 hour total at dealer.

Back