02-05 Transporting Hardtop in pickup truck

FLGATOR28

FLGATOR28

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Question: Has anyone ever transported a 2002-2005 T'bird hard top in the bed of a full size pick up?

When you post to the forum, summarize your post in the subject. Your post is about transporting a hardtop, not ""2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird"
I will fix it. Good titles get more responses.
modelyear.jpg

Question: Has anyone ever transported a 2002-2005 T'bird hard top in the bed of a full size pick up?
?? You would want to lay it on a padded surface and then tie it down well up close to the cab of the truck out of the wind with the top painted surface down.. When I picked up my 2002, it was at the local person's Ford dealer, it was in to fix a few things before I picked it up, but the top hadn't been on for over 10 years, He brought the top in the back of his Toyota Tacoma pickup laid on a thick padded blanket and strapped criss cross with 2 inch straps to keep it in place. He also said he drove slow. Hope this helps. It worked fine, it took us 5 minutes to get it on and secure on the car, and I drove it the 150 miles home.

I live in south eastern NC and over the years have purchase two hard tops, one on LI and one in Houston TX.
Both times I drove t-bird to pick them up. I figured it was the safest way to transport them. It also gave me a great reason to drive our wonderful vehicles...

I transported a MUCH more fragile and expensive hard top for a 61 Corvette in my little old Mazda pickup. Pad and strap it in and its no problem.
The front header is usually the strongest part on a hardtop so resting it face down is prob best while transporting.
Hardtop_in_truck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a red C4 Corvette that I bought a hard top for. The hard top is pretty much the same as the T Bird's. I travelled about 180 miles each way in an '04 Extended cab GMC Sierra. I placed a sturdy cardboard box under the front of the top and set the rear on a thick blanket. I then bungeed a thick blanket around everything and placed it up against the front of the bed so it would not slide when braking. I had no problems or damages.

Thanks for all the ideas. I ended up putting large canvas, 18X25 in the bed of the pick up and then put a quilted moving blanket over the top and underneath the top. The canvas was large enough to cover the top with 2 or 3 layers. Then ran straps criss cross over the top and cinched everything down good. It rained all day for the 450 mile trip but when I got home the top was safe and dry put it on that night,newtop.jpg

My original plan was to have it painted to match the body, but after seeing it on he Bird, I kind of like it. So for now it'll stay red. Thanks

I recently hauled one from vero beach fl to south mississippi. Hauled it in a nissan titan truck. Had to go in sideways to fit and close my tailgate. Used harbour freight moving blankets to protect and also some straps to insure no wind got under it and lifted it out of truck. Rode 10 1/2 hours with no problems and no damage. Good luck.

Does anyone readily know the hardtop dimensions? I am looking to pick one up and my car will be in the shop so I wandering it will fit in the bed of my GMC Canyon. Google searches keep giving me the car dimensions. I need the length and width. Thanks!

My hardtop is tucked away, but why not measure the opening on your car?Add approx 1" for the overhang at the rear. I went out and did that with a steel tape measure, canvas top up, came up with approx 60" x 60". If I was transporting, I'd wrap a few cardboard boxes with movers rugs to place inside the bed, piling on old pillows might be good, too, making sure to adequately protect the headliner, then cover the top with more movers rugs, then strap across the bed so that the Tbird top doesn't lift and flip out of the bed. It weighs about 85 lbs., but the wind can do amazing things at freeway speeds. For straps, Harbor Freight is your friend. NOTE: don't let straps touch any of the top's painted surfaces, or even the surfaces of the truck bed. The flapping of the straps, even though "tight", can burn through the paint. I've seen this happen. The best way, of course, is to wait until your car is ready and drive out there and put it on for the trip back. ROADTRIP!!!

Thanks for all the ideas. I ended up putting large canvas, 18X25 in the bed of the pick up and then put a quilted moving blanket over the top and underneath the top. The canvas was large enough to cover the top with 2 or 3 layers. Then ran straps criss cross over the top and cinched everything down good. It rained all day for the 450 mile trip but when I got home the top was safe and dry put it on that night,View attachment 14896
That is a stunning color combination!

Thanks for all the ideas. I ended up putting large canvas, 18X25 in the bed of the pick up and then put a quilted moving blanket over the top and underneath the top. The canvas was large enough to cover the top with 2 or 3 layers. Then ran straps criss cross over the top and cinched everything down good. It rained all day for the 450 mile trip but when I got home the top was safe and dry put it on that night,View attachment 14896
Your car is just like mine except for the red top. It doesn't look bad. I kind of like it.

Back