02-05 Rear camera installation help

I mounted the relay on the left rear fender behind the cosmetic panel and stuck it to the side with velcro tape...
If you switch into reverse with the ignition on and engine off you can actually hear the relay fire to make the radio display work.

I always use this setup for automotive/marine relays; cheap, waterproof and socket along with pigtail leads are included with free "next day" delivery:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66W2XF/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

The power wire(s) gauge is overkill for this job but doesn't hurt a thing...put a bit of dielectric grease in the socket on installation and you're good for a lifetime.

Last edited:
Alright fellow thunderbird enthusiasts, I need your help on this subject so I am resurrecting the same thread I followed while installing a backup camera in my mother's VMG '04.

First, parts used:
Kenwood DDX6706S(came with the car when we acquired it last November)
eRapta ERT01 2nd Generation Car Rear View Reversing Backup Camera($26 from Amazon)
EPAuto 30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V, 5-PIN SPDT Bosch Style
Recoil 10 Pack ATC/ATO Inline 16AWG Fuse Holder with 10pcs 10A 15A Fuses (FH16-10)

I read and then re-read this thread while also trying to get a thorough understanding of how a simple 5 pin relay and how it works(first time installing one).

I solder all my connections and use shrink wrap...

The issue is when the car is shifted into reverse the screen is not interrupted and that feature within the kenwood has been enabled with no luck.

Current Wire Setup:
Pin 87(Yellow)-is connected to the camera's hot wire which includes both red wires from the camera harness at the rear bumper and the rc cable that runs the length of the car to the head unit.
Pin 85(Black)-is wired into the Black w/ red stripe wire in the passenger tail light's harness. While in a normal situation this would just be a ground, due to the t-bird switching grounds I understand this to in effect, acting as the "trigger"?
Pin 30(Blue) & Pin 86(White)-both are tied into the inline fused power cable coming directly from the battery.
Pin 87a(Red)-Not utilized.

Also the camera's harness at the rear of the car is grounded directly to the battery's negative terminal. The head unit is plugged in correctly and the red power wire is soldered into the correct purple/white kenwood wire.

What's odd and may provide a clue is when I miswired it originally and had Pin 85 running to the camera's red power wire(s) and Pin 87 to the Black/Red trigger wire I could at least "Adjust Parking Lines" on a working camera...now the screen is black when wired correctly(as I understand it).

Really not sure where to go from here besides re-checking connections(which I've already done 1 round of) or possibly getting a different camera? Or hopefully it's something simple my electrical inexperience is missing and easily remedied.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Hello. I’m in the process of installing a rear back up camera. And I’d like to know which way did you go to run the camera wire to the front of the car? What’s an easy way of getting it from the back to the front?
From the center cockpit stack over the steering wheel mchanism down behind the kick panel then under the driver’s side sill plates and up the quarter panel trim into the trunk. Follow the factory wir.e harness into the trunk or you risk the wires hanging up on the soft top mechanism when its operating Then route the wire behind the driver’s side trunk panel and behind the rear trim panel and down to the license plate frame. If you need a signal reversing relay for the camera yiu will have to run additional signal wires for that if you mount the relay in the trunk.

Last edited:
I don't actually have pictures, HOWEVER, if you remove the left hand side trunk trim and the forward trim panel you can shine a light up on the left hand side of the forward end of the trunk and see the factory harness and how its routed.....on the inside of the car, you may have to reach under the convertible top storage well under the material to "feel" that harness and zip tie you added wiring to it. The soft top will have to be up

Last edited:
Grounds are switched on off. Plus 12v always hot on Tbird lights. All of them.
I am installing a backup camera and radio/stereo/cd player in my 2004 bird. I found after much investigation that all wiring is hot all the time, when you activate a system like the backup lights, the Rear Control Module (REM) and the Front Control Module Module (FCM) then ground that system and the lights come on. One of Ford's better ideas. I wish for the old simple wiring of the earlier models. But not so for modern times. A relay is the only way to use the backup camera on the 2002 2005 birds.

I am installing a backup camera and radio/stereo/cd player in my 2004 bird. I found after much investigation that all wiring is hot all the time, when you activate a system like the backup lights, the Rear Control Module (REM) and the Front Control Module Module (FCM) then ground that system and the lights come on. One of Ford's better ideas. I wish for the old simple wiring of the earlier models. But not so for modern times. A relay is the only way to use the backup camera on the 2002 2005 birds.
Yes a signal reversing relay is required depending on the radio model.

I thought about installing a backup camera so I went with a wireless solution. I just received it and have not installed it yet.I will post results.
Here is the camera system I purchased from Amazon:

Back