02-05 How to unlock wheels on my hardtop rack

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We just purchased our first T- Bird in October, we have removed the hard top and placed it in the supplied storage rack that came with it, however, 2 of the wheels seem to be locked.
Is this just the style of the wheels, or can I unlock them so I can move the hardtop around in the garage?
I will try to attach a pic.
Thanks.
PS— I have tried to pry them up and it doesn’t seem to work.
52C1E39C-688A-4D3D-9662-808D14F99F97.jpegF092437A-BB30-4E42-A4B2-500D5D1573D1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the model year(s) of the car in future posts. Added for you.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

We just purchased our first T- Bird in October, we have removed the hard top and placed it in the supplied storage rack that came with it, however, 2 of the wheels seem to be locked.
Is this just the style of the wheels, or can I unlock them so I can move the hardtop around in the garage?
I will try to attach a pic.
Thanks.
PS— I have tried to pry them up and it doesn’t seem to work.
View attachment 14365View attachment 14366
I haven’t had my 2002 IlliniBird since June of 2013 but the stand does more and the wheels do unlock. That piece of plastic on the wheel(s) you show in your attached pictures flips up to unlock them. I’d try some silicone spray or WD40 to see if you can lubricate them so the levers will flip up. If that doesn’t work, try a hot water spray on them to loosen any foreign debris. They’re plastic so penetrating oil wouldn’t help.

I DO remember the wheels being very “temperamental” :confused:.

Last edited:
The wheels should definitely move. They lock and unlock by moving the tab that sticks out in your photo. Have you tried moving it in the other direction? Maybe it needs lubrication. You might try removing the top from the cart while you play with it. I’ve always disliked the wheels and threatened to change them out but never got around to doing it.

As Bond007 suggested I would spray those two wheels with the lock tabs with some WD-40.. Yes those tabs should be the lock and unlock.. I just checked mine and if the tab is down it is lock and up is unlocked..

Back