2002-2005 springs opinion

Mark James

Mark James

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all - opinions needed.

I recently bought a 2004 with 60K miles and have had most of the suspension components replaced due to bushing rot. I also wanted to put on KYB struts.

My local place first complained that I didn’t buy a complete assembly with springs already attached, which I don’t see KYB offering. I told them the springs are fine, just mount the new shocks.

Then, they said the springs are “hard” and need replacing. This doesn’t make sense to me as the car only has 60K miles and the springs aren’t broken.

Should I find another suspension shop that knows what they are doing?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recently bought a 2004 with 60K miles and have had most of the suspension components replaced due to bushing rot. I also wanted to put on KYB struts.

My local place first complained that I didn’t buy a complete assembly with springs already attached, which I don’t see KYB offering. I told them the springs are fine, just mount the new shocks.

Then, they said the springs are “hard” and need replacing. This doesn’t make sense to me as the car only has 60K miles and the springs aren’t broken.

My opinion they lazy and don't want to change the springs but the t bird has pretty soft springs to begin with if you want better handling I would opt for some after market performance springs you might be happier

I just did struts on my 2003 and kept the old springs; I try to keep my 2003 as original as possible; if I wanted to modernize then I would move into a newer vehicle but I prefer all original, but that of course is just an opinion; the new struts with the old springs greatly improved my ride; compressing the old springs during the installation interesting; be careful if your doing the job yourself; good luck. Ron, Jupiter, Florida

My opinion they lazy and don't want to change the springs but the t bird has pretty soft springs to begin with if you want better handling I would opt for some after market performance springs you might be happier
Any suggestions? I think the KYB are good for what I want which is a bit stiffer than OEM. Shop wanted to (over)charge me for Monroes

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did struts on my 2003 and kept the old springs; I try to keep my 2003 as original as possible; if I wanted to modernize then I would move into a newer vehicle but I prefer all original, but that of course is just an opinion; the new struts with the old springs greatly improved my ride; compressing the old springs during the installation interesting; be careful if your doing the job yourself; good luck. Ron, Jupiter, Florida
Thanks Ron - having a shop do the work. Sounds like I need to find a suspension performance place that knows what they are doing. Last thing I need to replace are also the rear lower control arms and then the retro bird has a brand new suspension.

I see a member in this link went with H&R as well as the KYBs I got.

Looks like 51667. Anyone with any knowledge?

Decided to take a chance and found a good deal on the H&Rs. Will report back once all is installed. Really didn’t want to go with Monroes.

Decided to take a chance and found a good deal on the H&Rs. Will report back once all is installed. Really didn’t want to go with Monroes.
Hi, it sounds like the shop is being lazy lol. No need for new springs.,too hard??
KYB are a superior spring to the Monroes from all info I have heard and they are a little firmer than stock Ford items. I fitted them to my 05 and are very happy with them.
Ian

Hi, it sounds like the shop is being lazy lol. No need for new springs.,too hard??
KYB are a superior spring to the Monroes from all info I have heard and they are a little firmer than stock Ford items. I fitted them to my 05 and are very happy with them.
Ian
Thanks for the feedback, I’m definitely determined to put on the KYB struts and ordered H&R springs. And when I get them will find another shop.

For the $240 it cost for new springs might as well while the struts are being replaced as well.

FYI to all - the H&R spring set for the Thunderbird has been discontinued. Unless you can find stock somewhere any retailer that drop ships from the manufacturer will not be able to fulfill your order.

YES

Trying to sell you new springs is like selling blinker fluid.

Isn't dangerous to replace the struts inside the spring? probaly why they wanted you to by the set?
If you use a spring compressor (and know what you’re doing) it’s not dangerous at all.

Only Monroe sells the loaded strut and I don’t want to go with them.

As I recall, springs have what is called a "spring constant" which is developed by how many pounds of force it takes to compress the spring one inch. This can vary by changing the diameter of the spring. All automotive suspension springs are heat treated to harden them so there is no permanent deformation as the spring works. The other type of hardening is work hardening. This happens when the spring is cycled (compressed and released) many times. The best example of this is annealed copper tubing. You get maybe 3 bends in the same place and it stiffens up and won't budge. When the shop says your springs are "hard", I suspect they have work hardened and could warrant replacing to get back to OEM specs. You might ask the shop if they actually measured the spring constant or are they basing it on overall length. If the old spring is shorter than original, replace it. And if you replace one, match it on the other side. Am facing the same issue on my 2004. Just starting to collect data and your question has triggered much thought. I hope to do the work myself this winter.

As I recall, springs have what is called a "spring constant" which is developed by how many pounds of force it takes to compress the spring one inch. This can vary by changing the diameter of the spring. All automotive suspension springs are heat treated to harden them so there is no permanent deformation as the spring works. The other type of hardening is work hardening. This happens when the spring is cycled (compressed and released) many times. The best example of this is annealed copper tubing. You get maybe 3 bends in the same place and it stiffens up and won't budge. When the shop says your springs are "hard", I suspect they have work hardened and could warrant replacing to get back to OEM specs. You might ask the shop if they actually measured the spring constant or are they basing it on overall length. If the old spring is shorter than original, replace it. And if you replace one, match it on the other side. Am facing the same issue on my 2004. Just starting to collect data and your question has triggered much thought. I hope to do the work myself this winter.
Actually I qualified this further…the “hard” was with respect to the amount of effort, not the springs themselves.

Turns out my new shop also takes care of another Tbird and has taken care of 2 more over the years. So I have some confidence in them.

Got the Tbird back yesterday and there’s definitely a noticeable difference in the suspension (had the rear lower control arms also done so the suspension is completely refreshed).

So while I kept the stock original springs it was worthwhile doing at 60K miles.

H&R has discontinued these springs but I thought I’d check here to see if anyone has any ideas or perhaps has a set they’d sell.

eBay comes up empty, and any retailer listing it (including those saying “in stock”) don’t have it.

Back