Battery Drain 2005 T-Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In the 2002, it was the hardtop connection. The rear window defroster stayed on, after ignition was off.
I did hear that there were some 'just bad batteries' in the later years. Not sure what if any symtoms you had, other than just going dead

I wonder if the battery problems experienced on these Birds is the battery negative ground connection to the side well of the spare tire compartment. Idea: If that "bolt screwed into the metal side of the compartment" connection developed rust or corrosion or looseness, then the indication of a drained/low battery would be the result. Right???

I think you are correct, but have never heard of that occuring in the past 9 years on the forum

Other solution

Another solution is to simply charge the battery and remove it from the car to see whether or not the battery is holding a charge. If it is, then you know you can start diagnosing things such as battery terminals, faulty connections, and the alternator. Just so we're not getting ahead of ourselves...

My 03 that I bought new only has 4000 miles on it and I had the battery go dead a couple of times before I bought a battery tender. It is my understanding that all cars experience a "parasitic drain" and the battery will die if not constantly recharged. I have had 0 problems in the 5 years I have been using the maintenance charger. I have hardwired it to the battery and leave it in the trunk permanently and simply unplug when I leave and plugin when I return.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim

Jim:
It maintains your battery at all times. Goggle it and you'll find sites or buy one from Griots Garage on line. It is not a charger or and trickle charger. How's it different? Found on line:

How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?
The Battery Tender Plus battery charger delivers 1.25 amperes during bulk charge mode, holds the battery charge voltage constant at 14.4 VDC during absorption charge mode until the battery charge current drops to 0.1 amperes at which time it then automatically switches to a float charge mode. During float charge mode, the output voltage of the Battery Tender Plus battery charger is 13.2 VDC, which is well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. This keeps the battery topped off, while minimizing any detrimental effects to do gassing. The Battery Tender Plus battery charger is able to perform these complex switching functions because its electronic circuitry is controlled by an on board microprocessor.
Although they often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger rises well above 15 VDC, sometimes even going higher that 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. Either voltage is well above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, even less than 1 day, extreme damage can be done to the battery. What appears to be a cost savings for the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries.

Last edited:
I had battery problems on my 2002 bird,,,removed trunk light,,,that solved the issue
Did you check the trunk light switch for function? Correct by adding padding to make switch open when lid closed?

04 Bird - experiencing the slow drain problem - after 10 days no start. Bat is prob 5yoId Is the Harbor Frt battery float charger (+-$5) satisfactory per the fore mentioned specifications? . Not an EE.

RE poor ground - seems to me that if the starter spins the engine briskly ordinarily, poor ground is not a factor. Mine spins fine and the trunk ground connections are fine. While cranking, check voltage at bat term and at chassis. If same, grnd is fine. Either a drain or bat getting old, like me. JMO.

Good story - I took the top off this weekend (if the government isn't good for much, I can at least use their arbitrarily assigned daylight adjustment dates to bookend the two seasons I enjoy in South Carolina, "Hard Top" and "Convertible"). Battery drained in a day. Even the tender wouldn't get much of a charge. So I looked at the rear window defrost plugs on the hard top post hole as suggested. They were very clean, but I cleaned them anyway. Battery took a charge immediately. Thanks to all who contribute to this site, every thread worth reading.

I've heard people say a phone charger left plugged in can drain the battery even if they are not connected to a phone.

got a groud on something
I had the same problem until I shut off the factory Break In Alarm alarm system. I forget the sequence to disable it but think it is in the manual. Good luck.

I was wondering if the alarm system might be the problem. I’ll try that, thanks!

Had exactly the same problem on a 2005 Anniversary Thunderbird. For many weeks went through several batteries, new alternator, new starter, ad nauseum. It took a first class specialized automotive electrical system expert to diagnose and fix the problem. Turned out to be an intermittently failing AC Compressor Relay (literally about a $10 dollar part) that was occasionally draining the battery overnight. How this expert figured it out was astonishing! What upset me the most is that I had no idea that such a failed minor part could cause this degree of grief, and that these cars have many such relays that can potentially cause such problems. This was fixed on my car about two years ago, and has never been a problem since. Good Luck!!!

Check trunk and glove box lights by putting cell phone on video and placing inside and closing. Disconnecting the battery or adding a trickle charger is a temporary solution to a battery drain. I would be testing to find the source of the drain. Disconnecting the battery will not hurt the computers, but insufficient voltage when a battery is low may. I disconnect the battery over winter storage for months with no issues. The car will always be using some power when off, for security and sleep mode. Check your battery and be sure it is good, it should last 2-4 weeks with normal drain. See link about disconnect.

Last edited:
So I have the 2004 TB and it has the battery drain problem. door dome light is out, radio has been replaced with an Apple compatible phone version, and I'm not aware of any other problem. My question is this- If I add a remote battery fob will I be damaging the computer? Doing so will add another level of theft protection. The other easy option is to add a remote terminal above the battery in the trunk and hook up a trickle charger, which also will aid in long term storage.
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks, and have a good day.
TB
A way in which to find the fault of a battery drain is to disconnect the battery and put a current meter in series with the battery. Then start pulling fuses in order to isolate the circuit or circuits. You would need to tape the trunk light switch to the off condition.and close both doors Be aware some circuits may have a purpose of a small drain such as the clock and some radios.

Hi, I had a battery drain with my 03 TB. In my case it was the driver side door interior light switch. I just gave the latch a couple shots of W40 and worked it a bit and the problem seemed to go away. Hope this helps. Tom

Hello. On my 2002 Thunderbird the battery drains overnight every time. A mechanic checked the fuses and battery and reconnected the ABS pump connector. For two nights the battery did not drain. Now it is dead, again. Was it the ABS pump or what it a coincidence? What could drain the battery at 5 amps?

Hello. On my 2002 Thunderbird the battery drains overnight every time. A mechanic checked the fuses and battery and reconnected the ABS pump connector. For two nights the battery did not drain. Now it is dead, again. Was it the ABS pump or what it a coincidence? What could drain the battery at 5 amps?
On the 02 models the rear window defroster often did not time out & turn off. This could be a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back