VOTE: 2002-5: White Walls or NOT?

VolleyballJIM

VolleyballJIM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
There are very few photos of the 2002-5 with white walls; I have a TORCH RED one and wondered from "the pros" (YOU!), do you like them or not: YES or NO . . .

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

A big yes here

Extremely like them but when accompanied by wire wheels

We have 2 in town here that did it (not too wide of a white wall and wires) and they are fabulous (to my eye at least) .. the straight wire type of course as cross-laced did not work out well in the early days of the 11th generation cars

Have considered them .. wish I had done so a few years ago and enjoyed them, but may not do so now

If I feel good just before spring, and car still runs good, and feel I will still be able to drive for the foreseeable future, might do it

Last edited:
This was our 2002, we put a set of Cokers on and it was one hot looking car, got tons of compliments everywhere we went. We loved the look, but to each his own, we have since sold it and I really miss it!

fullsizeoutput_3dc4.jpeg

Yes, it's completely personal preference / a choice for any modification.
There is no good or bad here

Whatever one does or does not add, these cars look terrific

Us, we like to modify the items we are not too crazy about .. have done 4 mods including wheels, Borlas, Burlwood dash & billet grill but not yet done wires & white walls to date

I confess to drooling when I see one with wires and narrow whites .. now I'm thinking about them but fortunate for bank account, it's fall

Last edited:
I think I will try it when I need tires again. Or, do they still sell slip on white walls like back in the 60's? So yes, I think it adds a touch of class making them look more like an old classic. Good idea, I really like the look of BBird's yellow ride with the white walls.

I have a friend who bought thin red line tires instead of white walls. I think on a red bird those would be great! Reminds me of the tires you’d see on a 1967 Pontiac GTO back in the day. Also the thin whites are nice. I’d switch myself but my new tires are only 18 months old. Not a fan of the wider white walls on cars newer than 1963 myself.

This was our 2002, we put a set of Cokers on and it was one hot looking car, got tons of compliments everywhere we went. We loved the look, but to each his own, we have since sold it and I really miss it!

View attachment 13868
That looks GREAT ! Thank you!

I like them especially on the pastel colors. I’ve had 2” Diamondbacks on the OEM wheels and currently have Vogues on Dayton Wire Wheels. The Vogues were already mounted on the wires when I bought them used. My next tires will be black as I also like the look and it opens up more options.FDB7FB5B-7EE6-49CF-A4C7-CA086112731A.jpeg93E4BA3A-EEAC-4DBC-AE7E-699A444CC04F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are very few photos of the 2002-5 with white walls; I have a TORCH RED one and wondered from "the pros" (YOU!), do you like them or not: YES or NO . . .
Yes.when we replace tires this next spring we are going to add whitewalls from
A Big Yes here. Both my wife and I like the look. Some may say its a modern car and not needed, but its a Retro Classic and Whitewalls enhance the look. So Whitewalls are no the agenda for new tires in the spring 2021.

Yes, I want them on my 2003. My dad says when these Michelins wear out, we are going to order a set of black 15" steelies with baby moons and some whitewalls from Coker Tire. That will give mine the old classic look. Mine is Desert Sky Blue, so I think it will look good. I think any '55-'57 paint color ( red, black, desert sky blue, etc...) would benefit and look old school. The new metallic colors likely would not fair to well with the whitewall look, although I would have to see it to judge specifically.

Yes, I want them on my 2003. My dad says when these Michelins wear out, we are going to order a set of black 15" steelies with baby moons and some whitewalls from Coker Tire. That will give mine the old classic look. Mine is Desert Sky Blue, so I think it will look good. I think any '55-'57 paint color ( red, black, desert sky blue, etc...) would benefit and look old school. The new metallic colors likely would not fair to well with the whitewall look, although I would have to see it to judge specifically.
Make sure the brake calipers fit inside those wheels. 15 inch sounds a bit tight.

When I first saw this post my immediate reaction was no to Whitewalls. But when looking at some of your pictures I’m warming to the idea. Really liked the Vogues white and gold strips, gives the retro look a classy touch.

Back