64 rear disc brake conversion kit

Garret Swanson

Garret Swanson

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Did i do the wrong thing, I bought rear disc brakes but i am afraid I bought the wrong thing! please let me know if i bought the wrong type of brakes, i wanted to do rear disc brakes then on the front brakes i will do drum brakes in the front i have talked to other car enthusiasts and they said it was a good idea do you think it's a good idea
Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Most common are disc brakes on the front, drums on the rear. Not heard of the opposite but you'd need to use the correct type of master cylinder and I'd fit a brake bias control so you can adjust the front to rear settings.

Did i do the wrong thing, I bought rear disc brakes but i am afraid I bought the wrong thing! please let me know if i bought the wrong type of brakes, i wanted to do rear disc brakes then on the front brakes i will do drum brakes in the front i have talked to other car enthusiasts and they said it was a good idea do you think it's a good idea
If the rear first was the better way to go I think manufacturers would have done that instead of disc front/drum rear. Approximately 70% of your braking is done by the front wheels. There is a time to be adventurous, braking is not where I like to experiment. When I hear hoofbeats I look for horses first, not zebras. I think you are listening for zebras in this case.

If the rear first was the better way to go I think manufacturers would have done that instead of disc front/drum rear. Approximately 70% of your braking is done by the front wheels. There is a time to be adventurous, braking is not where I like to experiment. When I hear hoofbeats I look for horses first, not zebras. I think you are listening for zebras in this case.
I agree that i shouldn't experiment with brakes but this Thunderbird has been different ever since it has gotten into my possession, everyone has said "this has been customized for sure" (the original owner was a pilot and a friends with manufacturers of his car and got it all customized), people have come and said i have a back wheel drive instead of a front (which back then front wheel drive is the most common) so it has been a real head scratcher the VIN number had a unknown district code also which was confusing for me. but after talking to car friends and family i decided to change all my brakes too disc brakes, i trust disc brakes more then drum brakes.
Thank you for answering and giving me your input means a lot!

I agree that i shouldn't experiment with brakes but this Thunderbird has been different ever since it has gotten into my possession, everyone has said "this has been customized for sure" (the original owner was a pilot and a friends with manufacturers of his car and got it all customized), people have come and said i have a back wheel drive instead of a front (which back then front wheel drive is the most common) so it has been a real head scratcher the VIN number had a unknown district code also which was confusing for me. but after talking to car friends and family i decided to change all my brakes too disc brakes, i trust disc brakes more then drum brakes.
Thank you for answering and giving me your input means a lot!
I do not know who your friends are but if they think it is unusual for a 1964 Thunderbird to have rear wheel drive they are completely wrong. I realy do not recall any model of thunderbird being front wheel drive. I suggest you do some research on 1964 Thunderbirds to understand your car. If you do not have a shop manual you should get one. In 1964 I do not believe any American car had Front wheel drive with the exception of two GM lyuxury cars in the later sixties.

I do not know who your friends are but if they think it is unusual for a 1964 Thunderbird to have rear wheel drive they are completely wrong. I realy do not recall any model of thunderbird being front wheel drive. I suggest you do some research on 1964 Thunderbirds to understand your car. If you do not have a shop manual you should get one. In 1964 I do not believe any American car had Front wheel drive with the exception of two GM lyuxury cars in the later sixties.
Unless your T-Bird is a Toranado, Eldorado, or Riviera, it’s rear wheel drive!

Back