64 rear disc brake conversion kit

Garret Swanson

Garret Swanson

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Did i do the wrong thing, I bought rear disc brakes but i am afraid I bought the wrong thing! please let me know if i bought the wrong type of brakes, i wanted to do rear disc brakes then on the front brakes i will do drum brakes in the front i have talked to other car enthusiasts and they said it was a good idea do you think it's a good idea
Thank you!

Did i do the wrong thing, I bought rear disc brakes but i am afraid I bought the wrong thing! please let me know if i bought the wrong type of brakes, i wanted to do rear disc brakes then on the front brakes i will do drum brakes in the front i have talked to other car enthusiasts and they said it was a good idea do you think it's a good idea
If the rear first was the better way to go I think manufacturers would have done that instead of disc front/drum rear. Approximately 70% of your braking is done by the front wheels. There is a time to be adventurous, braking is not where I like to experiment. When I hear hoofbeats I look for horses first, not zebras. I think you are listening for zebras in this case.

If the rear first was the better way to go I think manufacturers would have done that instead of disc front/drum rear. Approximately 70% of your braking is done by the front wheels. There is a time to be adventurous, braking is not where I like to experiment. When I hear hoofbeats I look for horses first, not zebras. I think you are listening for zebras in this case.
I agree that i shouldn't experiment with brakes but this Thunderbird has been different ever since it has gotten into my possession, everyone has said "this has been customized for sure" (the original owner was a pilot and a friends with manufacturers of his car and got it all customized), people have come and said i have a back wheel drive instead of a front (which back then front wheel drive is the most common) so it has been a real head scratcher the VIN number had a unknown district code also which was confusing for me. but after talking to car friends and family i decided to change all my brakes too disc brakes, i trust disc brakes more then drum brakes.
Thank you for answering and giving me your input means a lot!

I agree that i shouldn't experiment with brakes but this Thunderbird has been different ever since it has gotten into my possession, everyone has said "this has been customized for sure" (the original owner was a pilot and a friends with manufacturers of his car and got it all customized), people have come and said i have a back wheel drive instead of a front (which back then front wheel drive is the most common) so it has been a real head scratcher the VIN number had a unknown district code also which was confusing for me. but after talking to car friends and family i decided to change all my brakes too disc brakes, i trust disc brakes more then drum brakes.
Thank you for answering and giving me your input means a lot!
I do not know who your friends are but if they think it is unusual for a 1964 Thunderbird to have rear wheel drive they are completely wrong. I realy do not recall any model of thunderbird being front wheel drive. I suggest you do some research on 1964 Thunderbirds to understand your car. If you do not have a shop manual you should get one. In 1964 I do not believe any American car had Front wheel drive with the exception of two GM lyuxury cars in the later sixties.

I do not know who your friends are but if they think it is unusual for a 1964 Thunderbird to have rear wheel drive they are completely wrong. I realy do not recall any model of thunderbird being front wheel drive. I suggest you do some research on 1964 Thunderbirds to understand your car. If you do not have a shop manual you should get one. In 1964 I do not believe any American car had Front wheel drive with the exception of two GM lyuxury cars in the later sixties.
Unless your T-Bird is a Toranado, Eldorado, or Riviera, it’s rear wheel drive!

Back