Speedo/odometer not working all dash light on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I'd bail on the car. The problem will probably turn out to be something simple. Fusible links are another possibility and tough to run down. I'm not sure where they are located, but think there are radio and television programs devoted to difficult auto problems--maybe such a program could run down the problem??

As someone else mentioned, Going to a Lincoln Dealer or a Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealer will put you in touch with mechanics with more experience working on the components in the Thunderbird since much of the Lincoln LS is the same.

I saw this on a Lincoln LS thread
From the symptoms description, I believe it is a fault with a loose wire connection somewhere and I would suggest checking the underdash wireharness, especially the fuse panels and connectors.

Look for signs of contamination as well and try unplugging wire connectors to check. Check those related to the ignition switch and meter cluster.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just took a quick look at the Lincoln Forum for the LS and on the second page found several people with problems of multiple malfunction codes linked to a faulty PCM. According to the thread, Ford no longer manufactures the part and some people are getting their part in a junk yard. According to the forum there are also companies that will rebuild PCMs for around $200.

I don't know if this applies to the Thunderbird. Hopefully with a number of people on the search the answer will be found.

pcm ecm?

I just took a quick look at the Lincoln Forum for the LS and on the second page found several people with problems of multiple malfunction codes linked to a faulty PCM. According to the thread, Ford no longer manufactures the part and some people are getting their part in a junk yard. According to the forum there are also companies that will rebuild PCMs for around $200.

I don't know if this applies to the Thunderbird. Hopefully with a number of people on the search the answer will be found.

Thanks evanbly, that's interesting info..
I was poking around on youtube and found: this http://youtu.be/2rudYtZUahQ

Then i found this video of a lincoln ls where a guy thinks it could be a bad capacitor causing things to ground in the wrong place... http://youtu.be/LHISy6A5xIA

Neither video shows if the problem was resolved, however.

Most of the youtube comments point to it being a bad PCM...

One thing that worries me is that if it is a bad capacitor that caused the PCM to fail, then I worry it would fry a new PCM if I replaced it. So I would need to replace the capacitor and the PCM to be safe. Or maybe the PCM is fine and only the capacitor needs to be changed? I don't know.. :confused:

What's the difference between a ECM and a PCM? On eBay they seem to use the two terms interchangeably.. so are they the same thing?

Does anyone know what year(s) of the thunderbird and lincoln PCM(or ECM?) will fit on a 2003 third?

There are some units available (for more money) that come pre programmed and flashed, but they say if you have PATS (passive anti theft system) that a dealer will have to program the pats.

Is programming and flashing something that a normal mechanic can do(he is my friend and would do it for free), or is that something i should just pay more to have done in the first place?
How do I know if a tbird has the PATS?

Junkyard sounds like a crapshoot.. Id rather pay for one online.

Thanks for all the replies!

The nightmare continues!

P.S. Just out of curiosity.. Is there any information available or does anyone here know the locations of all the ground wires on these birds?

I think the Power Control Module may be what used to be called the ECM (but I'm not sure). It's what I call the brain.

I know the nightmare feeling, been there and done that. Another way of viewing the situation is to see it as detection mystery. If it's your primary car then "nightmare" is the right word. If it's a Sunday cruiser then you can be viewed as a detective with a particular interesting case.

I like tbird's advice regarding checking the fuse panel. One time I had a spooky problem with my Bronco electronics and it turned out to be corroded connectors at the fuse box.

Several years ago a major Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas had a Mercedes B as one of its consumer products. The last CES featured a number of cars. Cars have become like computers and like computers can be real headaches. But when they work right, glory glory.......

Maybe fixed-- what other parts can be replaced

I just got my 2003 Thunderbird back from the dealer after a month. If you read my previous posts you will see the problems the car has had. Previous to this trip I have replaced ABS mod, Throttle body, COPS, 3 speed sensors and it has not solved any of the problems. This time I decided to replace ECM- CPM. It was replaced and reprogramed. I now had a new problem. It was in a NO START. I had experienced mechanics and locksmiths try to program the key for the PATS. I had the dealer try and no luck. They eventually suggested a new instrument cluster. They did a reprogram and installed new cluster. They got the car started, however there were still problems. They suggested a light module $1024, the instrument cluster was 1200+. They eventually found the new instrument cluster faulty too and replaced it with no charge. I got the car back after about 30 days and $3100. I received a 15% discount from COSTCO coupon. I have only driven the car about 100 miles. I have had the abs, traction control and brake light come on twice but have only stayed on for a few seconds. I don't know if it is fixed or not. The dealer is the only one that could have gotten this far. When you have a problem design and receive defective replacement parts. You have a problem ! There were shorts in the instrument clusters that gave no codes too. The dealer was great & worked hard. Shame on FORD MOTOR CO. I bought this 2003 tbird new. This can happen to anyone, if we don't stand up for everyone. You may not have a problem now, odds are you will. I wish everyone here would write and call FORD. It is a safety problem too. It has only stopped 3 times, once at 65. We still have no idea why it has stopped. You just hope you get back home.

Sanj2;

Your experience, like the experiences of others on this thread, is really depressing. It appears that every part Ford has replaced has not been the problem and that you are getting taken for a very expensive ride.

Perhaps most depressing is the fact that Ford refuses to offer relief for those of you paying a high price for lemons. This forum should be a wake-up call for Ford but is apparently not high-profile enough to warrant attention. Maybe you need to more publically express your outrage.

You could start by finding out if donations to fire departments for controlled burns were tax deductible. If so, and if the deduction was substantive, then the narrative could to be taken to another level.

You donate the bird for a burn. You make sure the burn is announced and publicized, you get some great video which would then go to U-Tube and so forth. The audio accompanying the visual would explain the burn.

I have no idea how all the above would work out; but if it did, then it could become quite the rage and others might apply for the same deduction and the same public exposure. Such exposure might lead to a melt-down of Ford's refusal to take responsibility.

I suppose all that sounds fantastical but sometimes fantasies can lead to new realities. When I went through the Ford/Firestone tire fiasco I wended my way through all the recommended protocols and ended up with no tangible result other than 80 pages of paperwork. I bundled the paper and treated it as correspondence with the captain of the ship, William Clay Ford, and I took Mr. Ford to small claims court.

Everyone, including my wife, said that my approach was humorous but not likely to work. The judge listened to my story and I won that day in court. Ford appealed the verdict and I won the case in the second trial.

That was many years ago in a battle over $800. I'm not sure if I would do it again but sometimes getting taken for a ride is just too much to bear.

Pardon my long story but the situation you share with others on this thread is maddening and I share your outrage.

I talked to my local fire chief and he says that his department does not take cars for fire training; but the department does take cars for extraction practice, i.e., for cutting the car apart. That would make for some nice video.

My car had problems occasionally not starting. Then headlights, odometer, alarm, started malfunctioning. Took it into dealer and was told dash electrical cluster might need replacement for $3770. They said it might also need a fuel pump replacement for $1600. Is it worth it? Could anyone recommend another mechanic in the Miami area?

I just purchased my Thunderbird and its been perfectly cared for. It is a 1 owner with every service record kept in a folder. 95k miles and now I'm having the same problem mentioned in this thread after a week of ownership. Has anyone found a fix? Any help would be appreciated.

I just bought a 03 Bird and have the same problem at 65,000. Took it to the dealer, it's still under ESP Warranty and after two weeks they called me and asked if I would accept a repaired unit. I let them repair it and after about 25 miles it started doing the same thing again. After reading about all the problems I wonder has anyone found a way to fix this or should I dump my bird.

Maybe fixed-- what other parts can be replaced

I just got my 2003 Thunderbird back from the dealer after a month. If you read my previous posts you will see the problems the car has had. Previous to this trip I have replaced ABS mod, Throttle body, COPS, 3 speed sensors and it has not solved any of the problems. This time I decided to replace ECM- CPM. It was replaced and reprogramed. I now had a new problem. It was in a NO START. I had experienced mechanics and locksmiths try to program the key for the PATS. I had the dealer try and no luck. They eventually suggested a new instrument cluster. They did a reprogram and installed new cluster. They got the car started, however there were still problems. They suggested a light module $1024, the instrument cluster was 1200+. They eventually found the new instrument cluster faulty too and replaced it with no charge. I got the car back after about 30 days and $3100. I received a 15% discount from COSTCO coupon. I have only driven the car about 100 miles. I have had the abs, traction control and brake light come on twice but have only stayed on for a few seconds. I don't know if it is fixed or not. The dealer is the only one that could have gotten this far. When you have a problem design and receive defective replacement parts. You have a problem ! There were shorts in the instrument clusters that gave no codes too. The dealer was great & worked hard. Shame on FORD MOTOR CO. I bought this 2003 tbird new. This can happen to anyone, if we don't stand up for everyone. You may not have a problem now, odds are you will. I wish everyone here would write and call FORD. It is a safety problem too. It has only stopped 3 times, once at 65. We still have no idea why it has stopped. You just hope you get back home.

Have you had any luck with your car or are you still experiencing the same issue?

Have you had any luck with your car or are you still experiencing the same issue?
Back to the dealer again this AM. When I get a response I'll post for sure. I love the car except for the dash freaking out. I told the dealer of this web site and that many others were having the same issue. I just got that blank look for a response.

Back to the dealer again this AM. When I get a response I'll post for sure. I love the car except for the dash freaking out. I told the dealer of this web site and that many others were having the same issue. I just got that blank look for a response.

Good luck, I hope they find a fix.

Any luck yet? Mine seams to be doing it more frequently now.

My wife has a 2003 Thunderbird with this issue. It just started recently.

If I figure out anything I will let this forum know.

I really hope someone figures it out.

My wife has a 2003 Thunderbird with this issue. It just started recently.

If I figure out anything I will let this forum know.

I really hope someone figures it out.
Thank you, I haven't put much effort into it because it's a 2nd car. My first step will be to clean the ABS sensors, then speed sensor or abs module. A few people have replaced the abs module and fixed the issue. Just info I've found on a few forums.

I don't know if the concerns that you are having are wiring or module internal problems. There was a TSB that came out in 2004 for codes c1145 and c1155 stored in memory , also abs, trac lights, or advance trac warning could come on. There were updated front sensors plus they wanted to drill a small hole in the bearing caps where the sensors are located in the 5 oclock position. Possibly for some type of contamination.

Hi,

People in the below forum/link seem to think the issue is an ABS Sensor. And that there is one on each wheel.

Birdmann, have you tried this?

http://www.fordthunderbirdforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18299

Well after 30 days I have my bird back. After 65 miles still no problems. Here is what the dealer did. Quote:
Customer says the instrument cluster will black out and warning lights will come on and speedo will drop to zero. Verified concern. Found inst. cluster was returned from rebuilt shop problem is still present. Performed perameter reset. Reprogramed keys. No change. B1342 still present. Contacted hot line. Removed cluster and checked all powers and grounds on c220a and c220b OK. Performed load test on circuits ok. Performed PMI on HEC. Tested communication wires to HEC/DLC. Performed redundant overlay on c220 pin 1-11 power and pin 6 ground. As well as c220b pin 3-6-17 power and pin 13 ground. Retest concern still present. Recommend send cluster off for additional repair.
Installed newly repaired HEC, performed PMI, perameter reset and reprogramed keys. Checked DTCS ok. No returning problems at this time. QC340 CCD4. Requested additional time for abnormal repair.

Jack Kissee Ford of Claremore, Okla did the work. I hope this info will help someone and I hope this is it or the bird is going down the road.

I hope that fixed your concern. I went back through the thread, and never saw a list of codes that were retrieved. Was that one of the codes originally set. I looked up that b1342 code. It states defective module and to replace. There are no pinpoint tests for that code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back