Wtb Gear shift Selector kit

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all,
I have been combing through the part suppliers and forums. I think one of you mentioned in a previous post a kit I could buy to make my gear shifter more secure and take the slop out of the gear selection. Any clues on who has that kit?
Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think both Bird Nest and Thunderbird Headquarters sell the kits.

Hello all,
I have been combing through the part suppliers and forums. I think one of you mentioned in a previous post a kit I could buy to make my gear shifter more secure and take the slop out of the gear selection. Any clues on who has that kit?
Thanks!

Okay, I was this:
https://www.wilsontbird.com/parts/1964-1966-shift-kit

Does this require removing the whole column? I mean to install the whole kit?

You can replace the lower bushing if you split it in the middle of the tab, you will have to slide the inner shaft up to do that though. I have done them in the car but the drift pin in the shift handle is a pain.

Does anyone know of a write up to replace these parts?

GEAR SHIFT LEVER REPAIR KIT
item # 7210E-KIT
at: http://tbirdparts.com/

There must be somewhat of walk through - any help is most appreciated!

this might help, even though it is for 61 to 63 Birds it may give you a little insight.

Attachments

• 1961_1963ShiftDetentandShiftLeverReplacement.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Don. You could go ahead and replace all the parts in the shift mechanism and that would require pulling out the steering column, but that's a significant job and you may not need to do all of that. Or maybe you do.

I'm no expert but have been reading the various posts and there may be individual components that if replaced would make your shifter acceptable, for example: replacing the bushing at the bottom of the steering tube that can be accessed from underneath the car; replacing the shift lever; adjusting the linkage where it attaches at the transmission; replacing the detent plate which can be accessed by taking the steering wheel off.

If you could provide a description of how the shifter is sloppy, maybe the assembled forum-ites could advise specifically what needs to be done to resolve the issue(s). Might be simpler than it appears.

I'm just sayin'...

Doug

Last edited:
Hey Don. You could go ahead and replace all the parts in the shift mechanism and that would require pulling out the steering column, but that's a significant job and you may not need to do all of that. Or maybe you do.

I'm no expert but have been reading the various posts and there may be individual components that if replaced would make your shifter acceptable, for example: replacing the bushing at the bottom of the steering tube that can be accessed from underneath the car; replacing the shift lever; adjusting the linkage where it attaches at the transmission; replacing the detent plate which can be accessed by taking the steering wheel off.

If you could provide a description of how the shifter is sloppy, maybe the assembled forum-ites could advise specifically what needs to be done to resolve the issue(s). Might be simpler than it appears.

I'm just sayin'...

Doug

Hey Doug,
I think once the car is transferred and tuned up a bit. I am going to replace those parts that you are talking about, sounds easy and will probably be enough to fix the slop. Great suggestions!

I'm no expert but have been reading the various posts and there may be individual components that if replaced would make your shifter acceptable, for example: replacing the bushing at the bottom of the steering tube that can be accessed from underneath the car;

Doug

Hey Doug and crew, so I did replace the lever and it did help - it was a pain to get back in! My wheel slides over with a good bump and I don't feel play in the wheel, it is in in the shifter.
I am looking at this kit: https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0000030b&uKeY=AABJL
would the column have to come out for these parts to be replaced?

I would replace the rag joint..but I understand it can be complex - is this the case - like you have to drill it out and stuff?
Because if not I am looking at :
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/y...~S5JU0O47QI12966773470a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000030b

Honestly, I think I just need to replace the detent and the bushing and I would be in good shape. My wheel is solid otherwise. So, I would need to pull the wheel to replace this detent plate correct?

Hi there Don. I've not delved into the shifting mechanism myself but am sure others with much more experience will comment and give good guidance. But yes, the steering wheel has to be pulled to replace the detent plate.

What are the issues with your shifter now? For example, is the gear selector sloppy and not positive? If it is in one gear will it slip to the next position? Does it go solidly into Park and not slip if the car is on a grade?

Doug

Back