Work bench faux pas

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
To old timers and those new to the hobby, When working on a bench project how many times have parts just dropped or popped out and your periphery vision and listening senses kick in to try to locate where that part went? I have two areas on my work bench, one smooth and easy to wipe down and another with very short pile carpet to keep parts from skittering off.
And not to mention when working on the car itself when something slips out of your grasp and drops.... Where did it go?...

Last edited:
Harbor Freight has a magnetic dish you can buy. Toss screws and bolts in there and they won't go anywhere to hide.

Funny you mention that, I was just thinking the other day. When working on my car if I drop a bolt or nut it never lands on the floor. Always in the frame or fender or who knows where, never to be seen again.
Tom

Always lands in the worst possible place. The other day I ended up having to take my snow blower apart to retrieve a part that slipped out of my fingers. Then there was the time when an antifreeze tester fell in the radiator of an old Tbird many years ago. After several hours attempting to fish it out, I ended up pulling the radiator out and turning it upside down. Yes, I am a disaster waiting to happen.

LOL. That's why I started this thread. It may not be on a specific mechanical issue but relevant to our hobby. I have a cabinet on my basement bench with a huge assortment of fasteners. I like to have back-ups for that reason. Last fall I was adjusting the vacuum lines after replacing the fuel pump And wouldn't you know it, Both clips just went flying. I don't know why But I had bought a couple of extras and finished the job. Took a second look and found one tab longer than the other. ( thought to myself ) put the long tab on first dummy.

The worst thing about my radiator screw up was the embarrassment. My wife called her father into the picture and the two of us got it out. Took a while b4 I was allowed to play with her car again.

Back