Will supply meet demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TbirdSandie

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Does anyone out there work at the Wixom plant in Michigan? If so, do they have plans to make more than were originally anticipated? If that is true, will they be able to fill all the dealership orders. Or if you are one of the lucky few that have one on order, how did you manage it? Do you work at a Ford dealership or "know someone?" I am very curious to hear about how you were able to order the 2002. I am 9th on the list of 8 allotted and sure would like to own one this year. If you have any info. please let me know.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I guess I was fortunate enough to have heard that they were taking orders beginning Jan 8. I went to the local dealer on Jan. 12 and told them I wanted to order a car. I gave them a small deposit and got on the list. I am #4 out of 11. I am surprised that someone off the street was able to just walk in to a place I had never been before and was actually able to do what I did. I thought they would have been all gone with brother-in -law deals but it seems like I am going to get my car this summer. Good luck.

Try a different dealer. I originally ordered one on 01/13. Because of the "premium," I have now ordered a TBird from a dealer outside of my local area. There are cars out there if you are willing to shop on the "Net."

The dealerships already have the allocation so they know how many they will get. Here the dealership will get nine and two of them go to the owner.

Our local dealer has an allocation of 10. I am third on their list, behind the owner's relative (#1) and one of the salesman's close friends (#2). Both of those ordered red birds. When I ordered mine yesterday I had to put down quite a deposit, plus the dealer is already charging a premium over sticker. Their list was started in January and I hounded a salesman about it. They are telling me they have 100 people on the list but I'm not sure they actually have the names of those people. (Sound like they are playing the public, taking advantage of the situation?)

I'm fortunate in that my son recently started as one of their service managers. Now I get the inside information and he's saving all the Ford issued dealer info for me.

I agree, call around to other dealers. Good luck!

Originally posted by Tlwright2@home.com:
I guess I was fortunate enough to have heard that they were taking orders beginning Jan 8. I went to the local dealer on Jan. 12 and told them I wanted to order a car. I gave them a small deposit and got on the list. I am #4 out of 11. I am surprised that someone off the street was able to just walk in to a place I had never been before and was actually able to do what I did. I thought they would have been all gone with brother-in -law deals but it seems like I am going to get my car this summer. Good luck.

I am not surprised. The demand for two seater sports cars is not that great. It's not like a PT Cruiser that appeals to a wide range of people and seats four people. Look at the sales records for previous years on sports cars. This is a big country that is on a financial rocky road.

I didn't know anyone i called all the small dealerships in phone book till i found one with a car available and not charging over invoice for it i had to put a large down payment on it and they will not take tradeins but that was ok
Originally posted by TbirdSandie:
Does anyone out there work at the Wixom plant in Michigan? If so, do they have plans to make more than were originally anticipated? If that is true, will they be able to fill all the dealership orders. Or if you are one of the lucky few that have one on order, how did you manage it? Do you work at a Ford dealership or "know someone?" I am very curious to hear about how you were able to order the 2002. I am 9th on the list of 8 allotted and sure would like to own one this year. If you have any info. please let me know.

Dealer markup is my concern. I have drive a Bird, and it's a nice car. Really not enouch head room for me. My concern is, it's a good car for the mid 30's, it's not the value with the anticipated markup dealers are expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back