Whitewall Tire recommendations for my T-Bird 1956

I'd replace them. Just a few weeks before I was moving after selling my house, my wife came in and said my car was leaning. I took a look and one of my tires just crumbled sitting in the garage Just days after taking her son out for a spin.
I bought some tires on the spot as an emergency but the whitewalls yellowed in months and could never get them white again. bought some aftermarket Porta_wall add ons Wide whites and they look grand. Much better than spending hundreds /tire for true wide whites.

Tires codes started about 25 years ago. Tires older than that do not have markings.

Any of those will cost $150-250 per tire. I just added aftermarket whitewalls to my '57 over basically new tires that I can't get white. Very happy. Only 2" but look great.

1628508779995.png

This is the DOT number that is on the tires of my 2004 Thunderbird. As you can see the manufactured date 1618 means that this tire was manufactured on the 16th week of 2018

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I am going to try Radial Tires with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch Whitewall. What brand works the best? The ones on there been on there 27 Years. The T-Bird was only driven a few times. I think it time. I drove it around the block terrible they acted like they were squire in shape. I just got the T-Bird last week from my Brother in Law and Sister.

When searching for white wall tires, your choices are limited. Most tire manufacturers now only produce black wall tires; just as cars today come only in dull
boring colors (drab gray, silver, black and white, etc). Hankook and Coker are the most prominent brands. Vitour is a lesser known brand.

Its time to get new shoes for my 1956 Bird. I currently have Lester Tires which aren't available and havent been for some time. Looking to find places that sell 6.7 X 15 Wide Whitewall tires. I've seen Firestone, Goodyear, Coker and Ekler tires. Can anyone offer up suggestions on where to purchase? I'm staying with bias ply tires as I'm not wanting to remove the skirts...

For what it’s worth: I’ve had two sets of wide whitewall Diamondback radial tires on my ‘57 (currently have their DB-1s) and have no problems with the fender skirts. (Perhaps the fender skirts or tire width on ‘56 is sufficiently different they radials are incompatible with those; I wouldn’t know. But it seems like a lot of ‘56 owners are using radials: https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...tire-recommendations-for-my-t-bird-1956.9378/)

Actually I have Coker radials in my ‘55 with skirts. There is an article on Gil’s garage on how to modify the skirt lock lever to alleviate rubbing. I still have the original leaf springs and did have a minor rubbing on the right rear, but fixed the problem by installing a rear sway bar. No rubbing!

I went more inexpensive out of necessity. Bought some off the shelf radials and then installed Porta-Wall 2-1/5" overlays. It's a driver so not concerned about cosmetic authenticity. Look great, drive great at about 1/3 the cost of infused wide whites.

I went with Coker radials on my '57. Absolutly no issues with the skirts, very happy with the tires.
IMG_4638.jpgIMG_4637.jpg

My ‘57 also has Coker radials. Never had any issues under the rear skirts but on sweeping curves, I can feel the front end “wiggle” a tiny bit

My ‘57 also has Coker radials. Never had any issues under the rear skirts but on sweeping curves, I can feel the front end “wiggle” a tiny bit
I've never had an issue of radials rubbing the skirts on my '57 either. If the rear suspension is loose you won't feel it until a turn and you get the rub. usually by worn bushings and or the axle mounts on the springs have too much play or even the keeper wraps on the springs are missing and never knew it. .

I am going to try Radial Tires with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch Whitewall. What brand works the best? The ones on there been on there 27 Years. The T-Bird was only driven a few times. I think it time. I drove it around the block terrible they acted like they were squire in shape. I just got the T-Bird last week from my Brother in Law and Sister.
I just put Diamondback radials on my 1960 and they are awesome both in looks and ride. Not cheap but worth it. You can have what ever width white wall you want for period perfect

The firestone Delux Champion tires are like brand new but if I'm reading the date code correctly they are from 43rd week of 1958. There is some minor cracking, but I've seen a lot worse on much newer tires.
If they are that old they should be replaced. I like the look of the wide whitewall. Any suggestions for what to replace them with?
i put Diamond Back tires on my 55 no issues cost with shipping about 1200.00 looks great on the car. I'm happy with them.

If you just drive your car occasionally, you may be OK with bias ply tires. I purchased the American Classic 670 R15 radials. They are pricey, They are still a compromise, since they are a radial that looks like a bias ply tire. I have them on 6 of my cars and I like them They are pricey but I want the safety of the radials.

I have chosen not to go with my tires of choice. the reason being that by the time the tires are dangerous in 5 to 7 years I will not have put more than 5,000 to 7,000 miles at most on the tires. I have elected to go with moderately priced blackwall tiers rather than the Michelins I used for most of the last 25 plus years.

Back