What year is this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently stumbled across this old T-bird in a garage. I don't know anything about T-birds - what year is this car and what is it worth to a collector? It looks to me to be completely original, and the hardtop is also intact.

Attachments

• picture 022a.jpg
    picture 022a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 229
RLTARCH

The car in your picture is a 57 Bird. Does it run and what is the optional equipment on car. All are restorable, but at what cost?
As far as $$ I have seen unrestored go for 10000.00 and asking as high as $40000. for a pristine example. I know that this does not help a lot in your casebut it may be a guide.
Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. I'm going to try to buy it, but only to resell to someone who knows what to do with it. I don't know if it runs or not - that'll be the next thing I'll ask about.

Is that car rare, or in particular demand? Do you think I'd have any trouble selling it?

Rich

rltarch

When you find out what the car is like acc and all. Advise me I may be interested. My wife has always wanted a baby blue 57 Bird.
Thnaks
Dennis

Originally posted by rltarch
Thanks, Dennis. I'm going to try to buy it, but only to resell to someone who knows what to do with it. I don't know if it runs or not - that'll be the next thing I'll ask about.

Is that car rare, or in particular demand? Do you think I'd have any trouble selling it?

Rich

Many will be watching this thread.. I would look good in it , due to the fact that the color matches my eyes.:D :D

gobbletwo

No I do not think this car is rare, it is scarce. Price wise whatever the market will bring. Condition is all important. also options. Advise when you can see or drive or listen to it run. Still interested.

Dennis

Some additional comments. The 1957 Thunderbird is the most sought after and most popular of the '55,'56' 57 Little Birds with 21380 being produced. The "little Birds" have a very high survival rate but it is only guess work at how many are left, I have heard about half are still around. Any solid '57 is worth 10 to 15 Thousand , with restored ones bring upwards from 25 to 80 thousand or even better. They were prone to rust and the car in the picture has a lot of rust on the front bumper, that would make me think there may be a lot of body rust. Even so you can buy panels to fix most common body rust spots. The thing that makes a '57 rare is the engine/transmission combo. You can check by looking at the data plate located on the passenger side of the firewall in the engine conpartment. The first letter C,D,E & F designates the engine and goes as follows. The "C" is a 292 Cubic Inch Displacement engine with a 2 barrel carb. (somewhat rare but not popular) The "D" is a 312 CID witha 4 barrel carb ( the most common) The "E" is a 312 CID with two 4 barrel carbs. ( a little rare). The "F" is the most rarest of all and is the 312 CID with a Supercharger. All Little Birds came with V8 Engines. Most of the '57s came with automatic transmissions but a 3 speed and a 3 speed with overdirve were also available. My '57 is a "D" bird with a 3 speed overdrive transmission of which it is reported to have been only 625 produced of that combination.
I hope this is helpful.
Pat

I recently stumbled across this old T-bird in a garage. I don't know anything about T-birds - what year is this car and what is it worth to a collector? It looks to me to be completely original, and the hardtop is also intact.
That is a 1957 Thunderbird. It has the bumpers and the tail. Get the VIN off of it and can tell you a lot more about it.

Did you notice that this thread is 17 years old???

That is a 1957 Thunderbird. It has the bumpers and the tail. Get the VIN off of it and can tell you a lot more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back