what to look for when buyign a 93 sc

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wantanmtxsc

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
hey guys im new to the forum and pretty new to thunderbirds. Iv always loved them and the SC has always had my attention;my dad used to own a 93 Thunderbird, lx? i think it was. Anyway im going to look at a 93 super coupe soon and im wondering what I should look for and how much I should pay for it. I hope its manny but I know those are rare so its probably an auto. Im going to call tonight about it and get miles and that kinda stuff. Are there any problems I should look for such as the blower needing to be rebuilt at a certain mileage or any recalls or known problems with them?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hope you get a good SC if you're looking for one.

The manual trannies aren't as rare as you think until you get to the '94-'95 SCs. Actually in '89-'91 most were manuals. However, if you plan on mods in the future, an auto can be just as much fun.

If you're looking at a '93 you want to ensure that it is in good working order. Pay a few bucks and have it checked out by a mechanic. Have them do a chemical test on the coolant which will tell you if the head gaskets are starting to go...this is very common on the SC. Given about 80k-100k miles, the blower will probably need to be rebuilt. It's not a big deal and if you have access to a press, you can do it yourself. You can also look at upgrading to a '94-'95 supercharger, and "S" port, or a Magnum Powers MPX. All three will require the inlet plenum (that piece between the throttle body and the back of the supercharger). I listed them in order of price AND performance. Right now I've got a supercharger off a '95 SC that I rebuilt and ported out. I'm looking to upgrade to an M112 from the stock M90 in the future.

If you end up looking at any SC's before '93 ('89-'92) you want to watch for any brake issues. Those years used the Teves II system which had an accumulator instead of a master cylinder. The accumulator will go bad if it hasn't already been replaced and will just require a new one. It's a relatively easy fix and costs about $110 to do. A lot better than purchasing the entire brake assembly which can run you in excess of $600. Let me know if you have any questions. I've been around SCs for several years now. You can take a look at mine linked in my signature below for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back