Veteran Day November 11,2020

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Today is Veterans Day, a day we recognize all the men and woman who swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States even if it meant sacrificing their own lives. I know there must be other members of this forum who have served honorably and today, we salute you!

As for me, I was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army in September 1972 at UIC College of Dentistry. When I graduated in June 1973 I was promoted to First Lieutenant and after completing the Academy of Health Sciences US Army I was promoted to Captain before I went to my duty station at Fort Riley Kansas. I was later assigned to the First Infantry Division (the Big Red One) where I was discharged in June 1975. I received an Honorable Discharge in July 1978.

To all our Veterans I say "Thank You For Your Service !"
IMG_1413.jpeg
Captain Michael J Barrows - US Army Dental Corps

My family tree is filled with veterans as far back as the Revolution (yeah, we’re trouble makers). I just realized that no one joined the Air Force. That was going to be my choice but things didn’t work out.

Small world. I came across a great photo of a great uncle stationed there during WW I. Lots of tents and horses. I would post it but it’s not readily accessible.
When I was there in 1973-75 there were NO tents except when they were doing field exercises. There were 5 dental clinics and I was assigned to 3 of them when I served.

After my 4+2 in the Corps ('75-81), I went in the Army Reserve as a medic. I spent a summer camp there in about '86.

Today is Veterans Day, a day we recognize all the men and woman who swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States even if it meant sacrificing their own lives. I know there must be other members of this forum who have served honorably and today, we salute you!

As for me, I was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army in September 1971 at UIC College of Dentistry. When I graduated in June 1973 I was promoted to First Lieutenant and after completing the Academy of Health Sciences US Army I was promoted to Captain before I went to my duty station at Fort Riley Kansas. I was later assigned to the First Infantry Division (the Big Red One) where I was discharged in June 1975. I received an Honorable Discharge in July 1978.

To all our Veterans I say "Thank You For Your Service !"
View attachment 14315
Captain Michael J Barrows - US Army Dental Corps

Back