Trailer hitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey RTBrd,
The hitch is a Draw-Tite Sport Frame, hitch number 24705. Check out www.draw-tite.com for more info. The Draw-Tite instructions say the hitch is for a Ford Thunderbird. Interestingly enough, the drawing is dated 5/25/01. As far as the wiring, it says "wiring access location: PC3, PC4". I don't know what that means, and neither did the installer. He was going to use those jumper clips for the trailer light plugs, but I told him to hold off until I could check with the dealer. I'm off to the Lincoln dealer today to see what they know. Of course, if I find out anything, I'll report in.
Have a great day.
Hugh

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Went out to their site and it did state that the wiring was low side switching but when I tried to find the info on their products page, it returned nothing, so I am still at a loss for what low side switching is.

56Birdman: Thanks for the pix. Makes the decision easier.

kayorocks: got my bike rack last summer (for a different car) from http://www.justriteracks.com/bikeracks.asp

Everyone: Low side switching is probably the same thing as "negative Logic". This is where the common for all circuits is the positive lead and each individual light is turned on by grounding the other lead to it. Since trailers are grounded throught the ball and frame of the car, the circuits probably have to be isolated somehow and that is why the wiring harness is as costly as the hitch.

Wouldn't that make sense, if the frame is aluminum? Can you ground to aluminum? Don't tell me I'm going to have to drag a chain around for a ground
smile.gif

Hugh

I'm guessing that the wiring harness inverts the logic to make the trailer hookup look like the normal situation most trailers use. That means it has to have some relays or active circuits in the harness, hence the cost. It probably won't need a special grounding chain or anything. Again, I am speculating.

Jimmy

56Birdman; Aluminum is a great conductive material and also a good ground material. In the class 8 world, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner, etc. many of your trucks have aluminum frames and aluminum cabs. So no you will not have to drag a chain along.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

I'm sitting here looking at 56Birdman's picture of the custom trailer behind his bird and I started seeing it morph into this:

What if you could buy a trailer of similar size and construction that would provide a storage spot for the hardtop? It would have to seal to protect the interior trim and such. This would allow us to have the best of both worlds even on a long trip.

Who will build one for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back