Tracing 56 T-Bird back to original owner

I don’t know, but I like the idea and wish you good luck on the journey. People tend to keep them for long periods so you may get lucky somehow.

I was able to find my fourteen times grandfather who came from England in 1690. Turns out that his grave was only 15 miles away. Yeah, we don’t move much in my family.

Angry Bird

Angry Bird's 64'
Is there a way to trace my 1956 T-Bird back to its original oner? How do I go about it?
I found the original purchase invoice and the data build sheet in the springs under the seat showing the dealership, purchaser's name and address in East Orange NJ. By checking the codes I found out that the car was missing a number in the serial number, but has "D" in a special notes meaning "Diplomatic". It turned out that the car was purchased by the Canadian Ambassador to the U.N. at the time (1964). I located him in 1997 living a few miles from me. He was blown away when I called him and brought the car around to show him. We went for a little ride..... memories! Guess I was lucky!

Attachments

I found the original purchase invoice and the data build sheet in the springs under the seat showing the dealership, purchaser's name and address in East Orange NJ. By checking the codes I found out that the car was missing a number in the serial number, but has "D" in a special notes meaning "Diplomatic". It turned out that the car was purchased by the Canadian Ambassador to the U.N. at the time (1964). I located him in 1997 living a few miles from me. He was blown away when I called him and brought the car around to show him. We went for a little ride..... memories! Guess I was lucky!
Great story! If he lived in East Orange today he would likely need his own SWAT team.

Hello;
I know it is a long shot but has anyone had any luck tracing their car to the original owner. My 57 was shipped to Beverly Hills Ford on Wiltshire Blvd in January 1957. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might find who the vehicle was sold to? I know about the late 1990s law passed by congress restricting the government from giving out info, so I figure that CA DMV is out. I thought maybe there might be another way.

I'm third owner of my 65 convertible so tracing it was not terribly difficult because second owner still had contact info for first owner but that person could not give me any info because they had dementia. There was some other info that I was interested in knowing but could not get. Too many years.

One of the great things about owning these cars is that you just want to know everything about them. I purchased my 56 in 1997 in Lower Sackville NS, Canada and spent the next 3 1/2 years doing a complete frame off restoration. The person I purchased it from had the history of the Canadian owners but I was never able to find any of the US owners. I purchased the original invoice and started looking for anything related to my car and after 20+ years of looking I made an amazing discovery as well as 3 new friends along the way. From the invoice, I could tell the car had been delivered to Fred Siess Ford in Lebanon Indiana. The dealership operated from 1918 to 1956 and closed shortly after my car was delivered. I contacted the Lebanon CoC, public library, Indiana state archives etc and even with all the help the people gave me, I found 1 picture of the original garage and some information on Mr Fred Siess but little more. But about 2 months ago, in a stroke of amazing luck, I came in contact with the Lewis brothers of Lebanon and as incredible as it might sound, they had the original Fred Siess sales and service sign from the garage and a 1955 framed ad for the new Thunderbird 20200521_123955.jpg and they gave them to me and didn't even want me to pay for transportation!!! What amazing people, just incredible. I cannot say enough about how grateful I am for what they did and how they made me feel. The items will be well documented and will stay with the car forever. So for all of you who are looking, don't get discouraged, you'll find something and you'll make new friends along the way.

I have much of the original history of my 55' and it is great. It was #85 of 98 T-Birds sent to France in 55' It has the ID tag under the hood that is French and the Bill of Lading going into France, 3 owners while in Europe and the American that purchased it and sending it back to the USA. Bill of Lading into the US and all letters and receipts when it was restored. It is an incredible car and this History makes it even better. A really great driving car while you imagine where it has been. Good luck to all

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I thought it would be interesting to see who may have bought the car in 1957, especially since it was sent to Beverly Hills Ford, and had just about every option added including the tonneau cover.