Towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask for advice ...

I have a 1995 Thunderbird, V6, about 90,000 miles, generally in good shape, well cared for. I am moving next week from Houston to West Texas for a new job (approximately 550 miles). I don't have very much stuff, so rather than renting a truck, I want to tow a U-Haul trailer. However, the T-bird doesn't have a hitch, so I need to have U-Haul install one.

Here's the advice part: I'm a complete and utter moron when it comes to automobiles, and I'm a gullible person in general, so it is very easy indeed for people to rip me off. Moving is expensive enough already and I really don't want to end up paying a whole bunch of money for something completely unnecessary ... but I don't want to end up by the side of the road in the West Texas desert, either. Can anybody tell me what exactly will be necessary for towing? A hitch, and a hitch ball, and some wiring; but is a transmission cooler necessary? What about brake controllers? Towing mirrors?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I _look_ like a sucker, and for once I don't want to act like one! :)

Thanks,
Ellen

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back