Tires for my ‘65

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
CapitanTripps

CapitanTripps

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Howdy! I’ve just purchased a ‘65 Tbird and I’m very excited to fix it up a bit. The first thing I need to do though is get some new tires and I’m not sure what to go for. What do y’all think is the best? I was thinking about cooper cobras but I’m not sure.

My preference is to keep the car looking original. When it comes time, I'm sticking with BFG's that have the 3/8" red line and 1" white wall on them, even though they're a bit pricey at $250/ea. I like the look, and with car being red, the red line looks good.

I will say though that all my other vehicles have Coopers on them and I've been incredibly pleased with the performance. The Cobras would probably do well on your car.

Howdy! I’ve just purchased a ‘65 Tbird and I’m very excited to fix it up a bit. The first thing I need to do though is get some new tires and I’m not sure what to go for. What do y’all think is the best? I was thinking about cooper cobras but I’m not sure.
Diamond Back tires has the modern version of the special order 1965 only, whitewall with red stripe. It looks like original but is a radial. I’ve had them for two years and are satisfied with them.

I'm running wider Cooper Cobras. I really like the look and the car handles great. I don't use the fender skirts 'cause I don't like the look, but if I did, they would rub on the tires.

upload_2019-4-22_10-54-7.png

I have for sale, a set of 5 original, special order 1965 only, whitewall with red stripe, Not reproductions, OE DOT tires
Barely used, One still has original label on it.
Excellent condition no dry rot or cracks. Great for a museum car, or period stock look on your vintage car.
4 are 11/32 or more tread (new), 1 is 10/32 or more tread.
00t0t_jtVipLId3mQ_600x450.jpg

I suppose the real answer is whatever type of tire you want. If original you've already seen a few suggestions.

In my case, I bought a car that had been sitting for years, and when it got plopped off the trailer three of the tires were flat. It was fun just getting air in them long enough to push the thing into the garage. So -- one of the very first things I did was make a run to a used tire shop to find something -- anything that holds air, so I can move the car around to work on it. One shop had a set of 4 tires that will fit -- they happened to be truck tires, with white letters. That look grew on me -- to the point where, when it was time to buy some nice new tires, I bought white letters -- and still use them to this day. I figure if the car is ever sold, and the new owner doesn't like them, they're easy enough to replace.

Back