Tall Person Problems with a 1955

V
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all! I am new to the forum and to thunderbird ownership in general. In the next month or so, I have the opportunity to purchase a 3 speed manual 1955 from my uncle who has owned the car since 1962. I'm really excited to get this car because it has been in our family for so long. I am 6'4" and realized that even with the seat all the way back, when I sit in the car my knee is both against the steering wheel and shifter at the same time. This would prevent me from being able to drive it the way it is and I was wondering if anyone else who is tall has had the same problem and come up with a solution. I was wondering if it is possible to put a smaller diameter steering wheel on the car to make more clearance or if there is another solution to make the car slightly more livable for a tall guy. I also wanted to know if there are any common problems that are likely to come up with a 1955 that I should know about. Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Two things:
1. To drive the car; do you have a soft top? You might be able to move the mounting tracks back a bit if you do not have a soft top mounted. It may also help to shim the front of the seat up which can provide a little relief.
2. Yes a smaller steering wheel is available as an after market replacement. If you check the various T-Bird suppliers you will find them. The diameter is two inches smaller in diameter. This results in a one inch smaller radii. That can also provide a bit of relief.

You will find that at 6'4" you will probably have problems with headroom. You do not say if you are long or short waisted. If short waisted where your height is mainly in your legs, you will have problems. If you are long waisted where your height is with a long torso you will find headroom a real issue, ergo you may be looking right at the windshield headeror above it.

At six feet tall I am marginal in fitting into the car. I am long waisted and have trouble both with the legroom and the headroom. It also requires a contortionist entry ducking your head and snaking it in with the top up.

Good luck. I have enjoyed our Bird for over 20 years and driven it thousands of reliable miles. J.

I have seen in a body shop the moving everything from the seat and the soft top storage area and the back hook area moved back to give a very tall individual more room. You may want to ffind out if this economically possible. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Two things:
1. To drive the car; do you have a soft top? You might be able to move the mounting tracks back a bit if you do not have a soft top mounted. It may also help to shim the front of the seat up which can provide a little relief.
2. Yes a smaller steering wheel is available as an after market replacement. If you check the various T-Bird suppliers you will find them. The diameter is two inches smaller in diameter. This results in a one inch smaller radii. That can also provide a bit of relief.

You will find that at 6'4" you will probably have problems with headroom. You do not say if you are long or short waisted. If short waisted where your height is mainly in your legs, you will have problems. If you are long waisted where your height is with a long torso you will find headroom a real issue, ergo you may be looking right at the windshield headeror above it.

At six feet tall I am marginal in fitting into the car. I am long waisted and have trouble both with the legroom and the headroom. It also requires a contortionist entry ducking your head and snaking it in with the top up.

Good luck. I have enjoyed our Bird for over 20 years and driven it thousands of reliable miles. J.

I am more long-waisted with more of my height in my torso, but I still have pretty long legs. The car does not have the soft top and only has the hard top. That's good to know that it could be a possibility to move the tracks for the seat back and possibly up to make the car more comfortable. My uncle has the car in his garage with the top off so I don't know how headroom would be. I'm guessing it won't be great, but I really only plan on driving the car on weekends during nice weather so I'm not sure I would ever even bother driving it with the top on. I will definitely look into aftermarket smaller steering wheels. Any preferences or suggestions for T-bird parts suppliers? I've worked on a lot of cars, but never one this old, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am 6 2’’, 185 lbs. Looking at a 55 soft top. Will I fit in it ?

I own a 55, but I'm 5' 8", so was my father from whom I inherited it. The 55-57 Tbirds were not designed for tall people, although Elvis Presley and John Wayne (I believe) were among the celebrities who owned them. I don't see how John Wayne could have driven his. Anyway, the smaller, aftermarket steering wheel mentioned in an earlier post is a 56/57-style steering wheel. Unlike the 55 wheel, which is flat, the 3-spoke, 56-57 wheel is not. For that reason, the 56-57 steering column is shorter than the 55's. The 56-57 wheel is collapsible, making it safer. Unless you can somehow shorten the 55 column, or replace it with a 56-57, the aftermarket 56-57 steering wheel will be closer to the driver. Just so there's no misunderstanding, the steering wheel 'm speaking of is the one sold by Tbird parts vendors. However, it is possible than there might be an aftermarket steering wheel/w flat spokes that can be used/w an adapter, but I know of no such wheel. Let me know if you find one; I would like a leather-wrapped banjo steering wheel. Keep in mind that the required adapter will also move the steering wheel that much closer to the driver.

P.S. Some owners complain that their seat is taller after replacing the seat foam. For that reason, some actually shave off some of the seat foam before installing new upholstery.

Great info. I am still learning on these cars. I have to find a 56, which I prefer, to see if its any better or will be better with the smaller wheel. The one I found on line looked factory but was 3 inches smaller dia which will give you 1 1/2 inches which might work.
Thanks again for the reply.

My uncle offered to buy my 55. However, being that he is 6' 7" tall, his head extends above the roof-line/windshield.

Hi all! I am new to the forum and to thunderbird ownership in general. In the next month or so, I have the opportunity to purchase a 3 speed manual 1955 from my uncle who has owned the car since 1962. I'm really excited to get this car because it has been in our family for so long. I am 6'4" and realized that even with the seat all the way back, when I sit in the car my knee is both against the steering wheel and shifter at the same time. This would prevent me from being able to drive it the way it is and I was wondering if anyone else who is tall has had the same problem and come up with a solution. I was wondering if it is possible to put a smaller diameter steering wheel on the car to make more clearance or if there is another solution to make the car slightly more livable for a tall guy. I also wanted to know if there are any common problems that are likely to come up with a 1955 that I should know about. Thanks!
http://www.con2r.com/
Steering wheels on 55 has to be custom they don’t make a smaller for 1955 year. This company did a great Job producing a custom wheel as close as possible to original even used the center horn graphics implemented into center of steering wheel. Choice of materials and combinations l. Not inexpensive by any means but for added comforter it’s the best solution I have found.

Attachments

• martin perri interiors (002).jpg
    martin perri interiors (002).jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 7
I own a 55, but I'm 5' 8", so was my father from whom I inherited it. The 55-57 Tbirds were not designed for tall people, although Elvis Presley and John Wayne (I believe) were among the celebrities who owned them. I don't see how John Wayne could have driven his. Anyway, the smaller, aftermarket steering wheel mentioned in an earlier post is a 56/57-style steering wheel. Unlike the 55 wheel, which is flat, the 3-spoke, 56-57 wheel is not. For that reason, the 56-57 steering column is shorter than the 55's. The 56-57 wheel is collapsible, making it safer. Unless you can somehow shorten the 55 column, or replace it with a 56-57, the aftermarket 56-57 steering wheel will be closer to the driver. Just so there's no misunderstanding, the steering wheel 'm speaking of is the one sold by Tbird parts vendors. However, it is possible than there might be an aftermarket steering wheel/w flat spokes that can be used/w an adapter, but I know of no such wheel. Let me know if you find one; I would like a leather-wrapped banjo steering wheel. Keep in mind that the required adapter will also move the steering wheel that much closer to the driver.

P.S. Some owners complain that their seat is taller after replacing the seat foam. For that reason, some actually shave off some of the seat foam before installing new upholstery.
Did anyone find a custom steering wheel smaller and flat that will fit onto the 55 steering column?

Back