Sweet (and sour) story of success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venting to follow, read or skip.
2000 Got on list for T-bird at dealer A.
2000 (later) Person with list had left dealership and they no longer had a list.
Jan. 2001 Called dealer A. They would be selling about $8000 above MSRP and wanted $5000 down to be entered in raffle for allocation. Called dealer B. They wanted $5000 to be entered in their raffle. Called dealer C. Nothing available at any price. Called dealer D. They still had two left in their allocation of 11 and would sell at MSRP. (I would be 10 of 11 therefore that was the handle I chose) I put a $1000 down and waited about 16 months. Got a VIN but salesman said wait until nearer delivery to finalize deal since I had a trade. Owners of dealership changed all management personnel (and apparently policies). T-bird shipped so went in to finalize deal. They were still selling at MSRP but, over the phone, said my trade was worth $7500, way below market for it. Thought I was being lowballed on trade so took car to used car lot and was offered $9200. Took car to dealer D and, after looking at it, raised offer to $8500. Still below market. Called Dealer A and found out they no longer were asking $8000 over MSRP but would entertain any offer. Negotiated trade and price and bought a T-bird for about a thousand less that best offer from MSRP dealer D. Dealer A had several T-birds on the lot and more coming. Willing to consider any offers. If interested, let me know and I will e-mail contact information.

I love my Thunderbird and think it drives even better than you all have reported. Unfortunately, my enjoyment is tinged with the bitterness of a soured deal. Maybe a few more drives in my Black/Black/partial red beauty will erase the bitterness.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Common' what else would you expect from a car dealer? At least most of them don't roll back miles on the used cars.

The trade is definately a place to make money, straight sale is preferable.

10of11, Sounds like you had way too many A,B,C and D's in there. I know it can be a pain in the rear end but at least you got the car in the end.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back