Supercharged 1956 Thunderbird for sale | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Supercharged 1956 Thunderbird for sale

• Thread starter Thread starter jobo
  • Start date Start date
J
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have found a Supercharged 1956 Thunderbird for sale and need to know all info that I can get to buy it. The seller told me that it has a 312 original motor and that the supercharger was dealer installed. Could this be ordered this way? Is there a letter designation on the firewall plate to indicate this option? I am interested in buying this car if it's original. Seller told me that this option was available. I would appreciate any help...........

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Dealer installed accessories may be original to the first person who purchased the car, but are not "factory" original. They will not show up in the vin codes.
It sounds like a very interesting car, a picture of the warranty plate will tell you a lot. Is the car complete and running? Or is it a project? Big difference in price.

Dealer installed accessories may be original to the first person who purchased the car, but are not "factory" original. They will not show up in the vin codes.
It sounds like a very interesting car, a picture of the warranty plate will tell you a lot. Is the car complete and running? Or is it a project? Big difference in price.
I have not been to view the 1956 Tbird, but was shown a pic. It is a complete running car with decent paint. The owner will send me more pics before I travel to view it in person. He claims to have some documentation. Thanks for the help.

I have found a Supercharged 1956 Thunderbird for sale and need to know all info that I can get to buy it. The seller told me that it has a 312 original motor and that the supercharger was dealer installed. Could this be ordered this way? Is there a letter designation on the firewall plate to indicate this option? I am interested in buying this car if it's original. Seller told me that this option was available. I would appreciate any help...........

I don't see how it could be truly "original" since it couldn't be ordered that way from the factory since they weren't supercharging them officially until 1957. What is mostly the case is that sometime in the cars early life the owner had a dealer install the supercharger. I'm not familiar with what, if any, differences there might be between 1957 factory supercharged engines and the non-supercharged engines. Sometimes the internal parts for supercharged engines are beefed up. I suspect that if it's a 56 312 it might have a different compression ratio than the 57 312 would have had but it's also possible that the supercharged 57 312 had a lower compression ratio than the non-supercharged version. That would be some things I'd be curious about but having the answers doesn't really say buy or don't buy. It's been running for 60 years so it must have held up. Something else I would want to try to determine is if the supercharger on it is the same one used on the 57 and installed the same way with same parts as a factory installed 57. You won't be able to determine anything about the SC from the VIN but you could verify whether the factory installed a 312 in it. It might be that the whole engine with supercharger was transplanted from a 57.

Radar is correct. A genuine F-code 57 is the only Thunderbird that left the factory with a supercharger, and it would be worth considerably more than a 56/w dealer-installed supercharger. The 56 cylinder heads , camshaft, etc. would not be the same as an F-code's.

Back