Steering column overhaul guide for 1972?

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, still struggling through cleaning up my son's '72. The shifter/key is where our focus is now. We have yet to tear into it yet but here's the symptoms... It's a pain to get into gear, the needle is doesn't work, the key moves hard and doesn't feel like it's in the right place, you can pull out the key while it's running, etc. etc. Is there a guide for rebuilding the column on our year? Should I just be replacing major parts of it? Also, it seems there are some pricy Motorcraft parts and some very inexpensive aftermarket stuff. Is there a recommendation where I should put my money and where cheaper is ok?

Also, is there other, more popular models like maybe a 197x F-series or Mustang that has the same steering column internals that there might be more support or videos for?

Thanks in advance!
Brad

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi all, still struggling through cleaning up my son's '72. The shifter/key is where our focus is now. We have yet to tear into it yet but here's the symptoms... It's a pain to get into gear, the needle is doesn't work, the key moves hard and doesn't feel like it's in the right place, you can pull out the key while it's running, etc. etc. Is there a guide for rebuilding the column on our year? Should I just be replacing major parts of it? Also, it seems there are some pricy Motorcraft parts and some very inexpensive aftermarket stuff. Is there a recommendation where I should put my money and where cheaper is ok?

Also, is there other, more popular models like maybe a 197x F-series or Mustang that has the same steering column internals that there might be more support or videos for?

Thanks in advance!
Brad
Look for a service manual on ebay. You are not going to find service videos for 1970s models.

The key coming out of the ignition means either the tumblers in the ignition are worn out or the key itself is worn down. Replacement is necessary. Trouble getting into gear could be a number of problems being either issues with the shifter linkage, column or transmission itself. First eliminate issues like the transmission itself having problems shifting. Inspect down at the transmission first then work your way up the linkage to the column. Problems could be things like a worn out rag joint. Bent linkage parts or worn out bushings.

Most of these era Fords with the column shifter where widely known to fail and not shift correctly. Issues with the shift detent wearing out and the vehicle falling into reverse even after shifting into park. Be very careful of this when you are working in or under the car. Always block the rear wheels. This is a MAJOR problem which effects ALL these Fords (up to almost the mid 80's when they changed how the shifter worked), with the column shifter since they all pretty much used the same setup.

Back