Squeaking Steering Wheel groan

Badbird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I own an 03 bird (65k) and have noticed that the steering wheel emits a squeak when turning right or left. It sounds like rubber on rubber? I contacted the previous owner who said that it had always been that way and was a common issue but nothing to worry about. My question is: Do other owners have this issue? What if anything can be done to quiet the squeaking? What is the cause of this?

My 05 does the same thing but it comes and goes. It is annoying at times. I've heard of others with the same problem so we're not alone. One person said he changed the power steering fluid and it was cured but I can't figure out how that would help. Hopefully someone watching this forum has the answer. I'm with you - I'd like to make it go away too.

If that link I posted does not work, try the attachment. I know several people who have done as in the PDF and it has worked for them. I have learned to live with the low speed squeak.

Attachments

• Steering Gear Squeak Low Speeds (2).pdf
    11 KB · Views: 31
I own an 03 bird (65k) and have noticed that the steering wheel emits a squeak when turning right or left. It sounds like rubber on rubber? I contacted the previous owner who said that it had always been that way and was a common issue but nothing to worry about. My question is: Do other owners have this issue? What if anything can be done to quiet the squeaking? What is the cause of this?

I have the same problem with my 2003 also at roughly 69k miles.

If that link I posted does not work, try the attachment. I know several people who have done as in the PDF and it has worked for them. I have learned to live with the low speed squeak.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a steering gear issue and/or would become one at some point. I called my local Ford dealer about the fluid exchange and they quoted me $250-$300 with no guarantee of a fix so guess I will wait for the noise to get worse and go for a gear replacement.

Got my power steering serviced according to the technical service bulletin last week and believe it or not I think it worked! My local Ford dealer's price was right at $150. It took a couple of days to take effect but I haven't heard a peep out of it since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I took my 2005 T-bird into the Ford dealer this morning about the "rubber on rubber" grinding sound that I hear when turning the car at slow speed -- and showed them the Technical Service Bulletin 04-10-1 that was recommended above (and showed the fellow the string of conversation from owners with what seemed to be a similar problem -- and suggested he try that solution to my car. He just phoned me and told me that after talking with a couple of his mechanics who had worked on Fords for many years, he said I would just be wasting my $200. He claimed that that TSB was just to address a problem of getting air out of steering fluid lines after shipping or of car that had sat for many months - and wouldn't help me a bit. MY QUESTION: The folks who have had a similar noise problem and said that the TSB procedure did help, we are talking about a problem that developed to your T-bird that already been around for a decade or more??? Thanks. (I just bought the car two weeks ago, so don't know what sound the steering mechanism made or didn't make previously.)

DO THE FLUSH! IT WORKS! Can be done at home in about an hour with minimal expense and hand tools. Must drain out the fluid (can start engine to pump out into catch bucket), put in new fluid (can use some conditioner too), bump the steering on the stops each way MANY times, drain the fluid again, fill the fluid (can use some conditioner too), bump the steering on the stops each way MANY more times, drain the fluid again, fill with new fluid,,,, drive for 20 miles to see if squeak is gone - if not repeat.

When I click on the XT-2-QDX link it takes me to Amazon and XT-5- QM Mercon-V ATF and Power Steer. fluid. Is that what I should use for replacement fluid? I can't find XT-2-QDX anywhere online...
Ford sent out memo that stated that all situations that called for Mercon to be replaced with Mercon V (watch out, not SP or LV or other) see TSB 07-1-7 for list of affected uses. So yes, that is what you use now.

Attachments

• MerconV.pdf
    57.5 KB · Views: 4
My 2003 just started squeaking last week. 100,000 miles. I will have the fluid replaced at next oil change service. Thanks.

Think I will give it a try also. does anyone know the amount of fluid that should come out when draining so I can be sure I have enough out, and the refill capacity?

It's been about two and a half years now since I got the "fix" at my local Ford dealer and my steering is still quiet. Obviously it worked.

Back