Spring saddle - which way round?!?

Hadderz

Hadderz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi stripped down my suspension a few months ago - even took photos but as all the parts were covered in what seemed to be rock hard sandy concrete it was difficult to seem some of the details. This 'coating' resisted diy sandblasting so had to chip it off and soak the parts - anyway not sure which way around the spring saddle goes as they can be mount either way. One edge is curved and the other side is flat, looking in the workshop manual, the 'image' shows the flatter edge away from the ball joint but a parts book shows the opposite. On a informative post within the forum about rebuilding the suspension, I cannot quite seem which way the saddles are. Any one know?
Thanks in advance Andy

Attachments

• InkedA Arm1_LI.jpg
    InkedA Arm1_LI.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 6

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When I look at your photo it looks to me like the center hole is a little offset in one direction. It could be camera angle but I'm not sure. I don't have a '62 that I can look at to verify for you. I personally think by looking at your photo that it should be rotated 180 degrees. I think the hole would be more centered for the spring to seat and the shock to pass up through it. I also think by rotating it around that the clearance on the outer edge would also be more equi-distant. I saw in your other post you asked how much to tighten the bolts. I don't think you will find any torque specs anywhere for those bolts. I would look up standard torque specs for that diameter / grade bolt that you have and use that value.

Hopefully someone with a '62 Thunderbird can take a pic of their car and post a photo for you.

I just went to look at your other post regarding tightening the bolts. I realize now that your not asking how tight to make the bolts but rather how much "squeeze" to put on the bushings. You should be able to get that information from any instructions that should have come with the new bushings. The tightness depends on what material composition the bushings are made up from. I'll look in my manual to see if I can find the answer to "original" type bushings. I'll come back here to let you know what I find.

Sorry. No luck here. The only book I have that covers 1960's Thunderbirds is a Chilton's Manual. It gives instructions and pictures to R&R the spring and to R&R the upper control arm but it doesn't say anything about that spring insulator. Maybe if no one here on this web site can give the information you seek you could call one of the restoration houses and they might be able to tell you. I have found Hill's technicians to be very helpful sharing information for my 1955 Thunderbird.

Sorry. No luck here. The only book I have that covers 1960's Thunderbirds is a Chilton's Manual. It gives instructions and pictures to R&R the spring and to R&R the upper control arm but it doesn't say anything about that spring insulator. Maybe if no one here on this web site can give the information you seek you could call one of the restoration houses and they might be able to tell you. I have found Hill's technicians to be very helpful sharing information for my 1955 Thunderbird.

Thanks Fordrodsteven, the bushes don't have any instructions with them so I've asked BIRDSNEST so I'll see if they know.

When I look at your photo it looks to me like the center hole is a little offset in one direction. It could be camera angle but I'm not sure. I don't have a '62 that I can look at to verify for you. I personally think by looking at your photo that it should be rotated 180 degrees. I think the hole would be more centered for the spring to seat and the shock to pass up through it. I also think by rotating it around that the clearance on the outer edge would also be more equi-distant. I saw in your other post you asked how much to tighten the bolts. I don't think you will find any torque specs anywhere for those bolts. I would look up standard torque specs for that diameter / grade bolt that you have and use that value.

Hopefully someone with a '62 Thunderbird can take a pic of their car and post a photo for you.

Only difference seems to be the edge of the spring cup - one side is narrow compaired to the other and slightly a different shape underneath. Trouble is all the images I can find the spring is in place and covers it so you cannot tell!

Back