Silicone brake fluid in "56 Bird, change back?

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Newby to Baby Birds but have owned a '61 for some time.
Last week bought a "56Tbird. Older restoration but a nice car. The owner had completed a brake rebuild with new booster and all cylinders and using DOT 5 fluid. Problem is the stop light switch has failed.
I will replace the stop light switch but can I expect it to fail again? Then do I either install a switch on the brake peddle or remove the silicone fluid and replace with DOT 4?
Phil in Tenn

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

One dot 5 or silico e fluid is in the system you can not change it without replacing all the rubber, ie hoses and cylinders the two fluids are not compatible and will make your brakes not safe.

As far as what killed the switch. I doubt it was the fluid.

One dot 5 or silico e fluid is in the system you can not change it without replacing all the rubber, ie hoses and cylinders the two fluids are not compatible and will make your brakes not safe.

As far as what killed the switch. I doubt it was the fluid.
Thanks , will try the replacement switch next.

Synthetic fluid in any form is superior to the old fluid. I have been using synthetic fluids in my 64 for 16 years with out any issues since my completed restoration in 2002.

Personally, my preference would be to install a mechanical switch at the pedal arm. Only issue there would be if you are trying to keep your car concours correct.

dot 5 and 2002 ranger clutch don't work.

Back