Shifter won't move out of park 2004

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
A newby 2day owner 2004. I can't shift out of park, my brake lites don't work. My owners manual says to check fuses. I did no luck. I have running life's. Help please.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Post from @Shanman-
It's probably the break light switch. Its located behind the break pedal. When it goes the car will not shift out of park. I replaced mine about a year ago. It's not difficult just get your yoga moves ready as it's not the easiest thing to reach. I ordered on Amazon. Motorcraft SW5474 Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011DU8D4/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

A newby 2day owner 2004. I can't shift out of park, my brake lites don't work. My owners manual says to check fuses. I did no luck. I have running life's. Help please.
Mine did the same thing. Replace the brake light switch. a work around if it happens is to turn your ignition with the key in to just one click. nothing will come on but you can then shift to neutral then into gear after starting.

On page 108 in the owners manual it will tell you how to bypass the brake-shift interlock. It worked for my 2003.

In my 2003 & 2004 manual it says if you cannot move the gearshift lever out of park with ignition in the run position and the brake depressed: 1.Apply the parking brake, turn ignition key to LOCK, then remove the key. 2. Insert the key and turn it OFF. Apply the brake pedal and shift to Neutral. 3. Start the Vehicle. This worked for me two times one day last summer. Fixed it with a new brake switch. You just have to remember not to put car in park until you get home.

Back