Shift knob button adjustment on 57

Lionel

Lionel

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, could any body help me with the correct adjustment of the screw in the centre of the shift knob button.

Hi, could any body help me with the correct adjustment of the screw in the centre of the shift knob button.
I would think hand tight would be enough. What is your issue is it stripped or something? there is a trick also, with the knob screwed down everything works well. If you unscrew it 'till it stops you can't push the button to get it out of park. Old school theft prevention.

Anyone have an option to make the shift knob look better?

Always thought the knob on mine looked yuck.

I would think hand tight would be enough. What is your issue is it stripped or something? there is a trick also, with the knob screwed down everything works well. If you unscrew it 'till it stops you can't push the button to get it out of park. Old school theft prevention.
Thanks, no the knob etc. are all good it’s the screw in the centre of the knob. Does it need to be tight or is an adjustment as it doesn’t seem to do anything.

Thanks, no the knob etc. are all good it’s the screw in the centre of the knob. Does it need to be tight or is an adjustment as it doesn’t seem to do anything.
It just holds the button in place. Just finger tight. If it just spins the threads are shot. A whole 'nother can of worms.

It just holds the button in place. Just finger tight. If it just spins the threads are shot. A whole 'nother can of worms.
Hi, thanks, the threads are fine it’s just loose. I will lighten it up. I appreciated your help thanks.

The procedure is very simple: Place the gear shift lever into "Park" and turn off the engine. Then turn the knob of your gear shift lever counter-clockwise until the push button in the center of the gear shift knob will not release the transmission out of the "Park" position. Do not unscrew the knob higher than the button or you will remove the gear shift knob from the shift lever. To "unlock" your transmission, simply turn your gear knob clockwise until snug on the shift lever.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back