1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Sequential tail lights 1964

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by Draze, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Hi, has anyone had any success with new technology add-ons that can make a 1964's tail lights flash in sequence like the 65 & 66?

2. I have them. To be honest, it's been a long time and I don't remember exactly who I bought them from, but what I have consists of two modules, one for each taillight.
    It also helps that I have new lamp sockets from NAPA (the originals were rusty). So I have wires to work with. I pulled out each taillight, removed the old sockets, cleaned up and repainted with chrome-silver paint, then installed the new sockets. Very neatly, with cable ties, solder, and shrink wrap, I wired up the new sockets with the corresponding module, then reinstalled the assembly on the car. There is a new wire -- one on each side, that needs to be run to the front. This is a control wire, that tells the module that the lamp is being lit for a turn signal vs. brake. The instructions say to connect them to the indicator lights. Don't; it won't work. Connect them instead to the FRONT turn signals in the parking lights. I tapped these in at the base of the steering wheel.

They work beautifully, although admittedly the left signal doesn't always sequence. The reason is a probable bad connection at the parking light "tap", just haven't had the time to investigate. But overall they work well. The only difference between these and the original 1965-66 design is that these don't make any noise.

3. tbird

tbird Super Moderator Staff Member

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!