Securing my 1964 Tbird in my enclosed trailer.

ak7an
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 24 ft enclosed trailer with a pair of HD D rings in the front and rear. Looking for the best way to securing the 64 in the trailer. I have HD ratchet straps. Where is the best place to hook them to the car?
Take care
Ed

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

hook the D rings to the car on the opposite side from it...frame rail, bumper mount etc.... you want the straps to look like an X

Thanks for that great information. Where on the car is a good place to hook the straps?
Thanks
generally you want to hook to the frame or frame horn's where the bumpers attach if you can, I wouldn't hook to the rear axle or front control arms as that can mess with alignment... when hooking at the rear you also want the straps to be angled toward the rear of the trailer in case you need to panic stop.

Using chock blocks also never hurt. Better safe than sorry.
I hadn't thought of that. I will purchase some of these. Any Ideas on how to secure them so they don't move while driving down these wonderful roads we have out west?

Actually 2 4x4 blocks with a piece of rope hooked to them or 2 4x4 blocks with a screw at each end protruding out far enough for a bungie cord to hold them from moving. I actually had a truck on a flat bed trailer, thinking it was well tied on. One of the straps came undone and the only thing holding that truck on my trailer were the wooden blocks. I traveled 45 miles and did not know about the straps until I got home. Dumb, dumb,dumb. Always check your straps. Good thing for the wooden blocks.

Personally I have trailered 100's of cars and trucks, I have made a point of never tieing down any vehicle by the frame or body. Good hard bumps in the road will cause your suspension to bounce. This will momentarily slack your chains or straps and then they slam tight. Or break. You can safely tie down the rear around the axle or springs. The front is best at the lower control arm.
You will need grade 70 5/16 chain at a minimum to be legal. Most states have an issue with tieing vehicles down with straps. (They can't handle shock loads well).
BTW, my brother owns a tow company (and he still yells at me occasionally lol)

I just want to update this subject.. I contacted my insurance company to see if there were any requirements as to trailering my car. I was told that they had none. Chains or straps, either way the car would be covered in the event of an accident. I do appreciate all the info and input. I will be making me some chocks out of a 4x4 and bungie cords. I also like the idea of connect my ties downs to the axle and control arms. When you apply the brakes aggressively all the weight and momentum of the car is being transferred to these suspension components and hopefully these components are sturdy enough to handle the braking with out need an alignment after each braking incident. Planning a 3500 mile round trip hauling my classic to visit some family that have classics also. So we can spend some quality car guy time..
Thanks again..
Ed

3500 miles is a long trip. I came from WA state to NC. Paid someone else to transport 3 vehicles at the expense of $4000 in 2012. I drove a pickup with trailer. Glad I was able to give you some ideas.

Back