Seal spokes 1957 Thunderbird

Lionel

Lionel

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, our spoked wheels are causing major issues with punctures. The sealer on the nipples is breaking up and finding it’s way into the middle of the wheel and chaffing the tube through. What are members if any have had similar problem done to cure the issue? My thoughts are to clean off the substance and reseal with an aviation resin. I’m not wanting to make the wheels tubeless. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hi all, our spoked wheels are causing major issues with punctures. The sealer on the nipples is breaking up and finding it’s way into the middle of the wheel and chaffing the tube through. What are members if any have had similar problem done to cure the issue? My thoughts are to clean off the substance and reseal with an aviation resin. I’m not wanting to make the wheels tubeless. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Mine had essentially a black rubber band glued over the nipples. Looked original, and I presume the band can flex a little but not chip or wear off..

Thanks, the inner spokes have a thick shaped layer of a rubber type substance over the nipples which is okay. The outer edge nipples are covered with a hard brittle resin. This is the cause of the problem, when the tyre mechanic has started the removal of the tyres with a lever it’s been hitting the resin and cracking it. I can’t have rubber band on the outer nipples as the tyre bead dislodges it when the tube is inflate. I trust this makes sense

Thanks, the inner spokes have a thick shaped layer of a rubber type substance over the nipples which is okay. The outer edge nipples are covered with a hard brittle resin. This is the cause of the problem, when the tyre mechanic has started the removal of the tyres with a lever it’s been hitting the resin and cracking it. I can’t have rubber band on the outer nipples as the tyre bead dislodges it when the tube is inflate. I trust this makes sense
I'm just wondering if you could chip off as much of that resin and slap on a coating of Flex Paste. I'm sure you've seen the ads. It's a self vulcanizing rubber based product. May even work better than original now that they have such new technology for things like this. Oh I was just thinking, seeing as you like "old School" you might liberally coat the tube with calk powder when installing to prevent any chafing and overheating.

Last edited:
Back